[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Honest Way Forum • View topic - Article Marketing Intelligently!

Article Marketing Intelligently!

Discuss the whys and wherefors of article writing and publishing. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Article Marketing Intelligently!

Postby Tel » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:05 am

I've already blogged about this but its important enough to add to the forum on article writing as well.

When you submit your articles to the article directories and ezines to grow your backlink population, you should know there is a further way you can use this to spread the links to other places without having to life a finger.

And it comes from a perennial annoyance for article writers, too!

I mean plagiarism!

Yep, there are plenty of less than honourable people out there who will browse through the article directories looking for some content for their website. Most will copy an article and include the author's resource box with their link to their website intact. But some do not and simply claim the article as their own.

What none of these people realize is that once they start putting duplicate content on their sites, Google will slap them down by dropping their page rank, or not increasing it when it would otherwise warrant it.

But the author of the article can cash in on other's ignorance of this fact in two ways.

First, make sure you submit your article to a directory that allows you to place HTML code in the body of your article as well as in your resource box. The best one I've personally found is GoArticles.com as they also PR6 rank, which means your original article will generate you a PR6 backlink to your site if you need to get it indexed by the search engines fast and help your own PR to grow.

Then edit your article and include an anchor tag in the first paragraph with a link to your site and your main keywords as the anchor text.

Now when it's sitting on GoArticles database and someone steals it two two things may happen. One is quite common in that the thief will only publish the first couple of paragraphs on their site and link back to the full article at GoArticles. That misses off your resource box, but you've still got the link in he first paragraph, so now you have one more backlink from a different source!

The other thing is that they'll publish your entire article but no resource box, but you still have the backlink in the first paragraph which only a few HTML savvy people will know to remove - most spammers are stupid and won't.

The double whammy is that these sites are your competitors and because they have the duplicate content, they will not rank as highly as your own site with it's unique content!

That's how to use article marketing intelligently!
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby shezz » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:47 pm

I agree 100% Terry well said
Shezz
shezz

Postby tam2005 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:33 pm

Great post Terry! :)

Good well-said advice.
Tammy

tam2005

Re: Article Marketing Intelligently!

Postby David Hurley » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:16 pm

Hi Terry,

Great tip! I really like it! Enough to leave a comment here and put the thread back to the top of the list where others might notice it! :lol:
==> !

==>
David Hurley

Postby Tel » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:22 am

Thanks David, I always like to get one back on the content theives and this is a great way to do it. I also make a point of writing blog posts with a link back to the previous post in the first paragraph. Sure enough, some of my content has turned up on other sites with the link intact, so I'm certainly not complaining!
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby Medicman » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:14 pm

Tel,

Do you know of any other article directories besides goarticles who allow you to place anchor text in the first paragraph?

Medic

Medicman

Postby Tel » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:10 am

Yep, James posted a short list here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=492
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby Medicman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:08 pm

Tel,

In regards to your google dance post, do you think article marketing is still a good way to go to get good backlinks as long as you are not mass producing your articles? And thanks for the link to the other article sites.

Medic

Medicman

Postby Tel » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:49 pm

Yep, I still believe in article marketing 100%, but just not sending duplicates all over the place. I never have done. When I came back into IM around 20 months ago, there was lots of advice that I found about article marketing and the general feeling then was that original articles only should be used to get backlinks. Duplicates were considered as only ways to get more low power links, although back then there was no reason to think Google would not count those links.

Now I reckon things are changing big time with regards to links and I really believe that Google have got their act together and are starting down the road of ignoring links contained within duplicate content, especially so when those links come from low PR article submission sites, because its obvious what they're being used for - artificially creating backlinks.

Which then makes me follow that logic to the next step to say that if all things balance out, then there is every reason to suspect that more weight will be given to links contained in original articles, wherever they may be.

I don't claim to be an expert here, but I know one thing for sure - and that the people who run Google are (or were) programmers and software developers and having been in that pigeon-hole for many years myself, I understand very well that these guys think logically, very logically!

And the logic of this whole links shake-up is pretty infallible right now.
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby DavidO » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:12 am

When you say duplicate content do you mean only submit your rewritten article to a single article site, or is it OK to submit the same article (re-written from your actual website) to a bunch of article sites (like what article market does)?

Thanks,
David O
DavidO

Postby Tel » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:47 am

Dave, I think you answered that yourself.

The original article sits on your site. You spin it to create a new original to submit to an article directory for the backlink. If you then copy that same article to other directories without midification, they are duplicates.
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby DavidO » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:51 pm

Cool - Just making sure I got it.

Dave O
DavidO

Postby Tel » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:42 pm

No worries. Asking questions is how we all learn! :-D
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby bgmacaw » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:06 pm

You might find this article interesting Terry: http://www.jonathanleger.com/who-says-y ... e-content/

I don't know if Leger is right about this or not but Google does seem to grant a number of exceptions for dupe content.
Frank Carr from at OpTempo |
| |
bgmacaw

Postby Tel » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:11 pm

Mmm, Ledger is talking about syndicating summaries onto your blog, not using full duplicate articles. I can see how Google can be lulled into thinking a page of a dozen snippets in individual posts is actually not duplicate. He's quite right about that.

But as for ranking? I've got several blogs all over 6 months old that I do just that with, posting dup snippets (part of an experiment of my own - no monetisiation, just dup content), and where do they rank? Nowhere!

But this isnt about using snippets, its about using full duplicate articles to get backlinks. It may have worked last week, but I get the impression Google is changing the way it counts those links embedded in duplicate content. It only a theory and I could of course be totally wrong about this.

I'll just carry on going slow and only using original content. Ok, it takes longer to get stuff ranking well, but I'm not in any rush.

No one else has to do as I do. If I'm wrong, then everyone else will outrank my sites by using links in duplicate articles.

But if I'm right...
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby gmoney23 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:54 am

Terry,

Just trying to see if I understand what your saying here...Each time you submit an article to an article directory site...It should be spun? So if you were wanting to post an article to 50 different article sites...you should re-write the article 50 times? If so, I'll just be posting to Ezines and Go articles. :)

Thanks!

-G
gmoney23

Postby Tel » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:42 am

Yep, that's the long and the short of it.

However GoArticles may not be the best choice right now. Their ranking is low because its full of spam articles and it looks like Google are giving almost no link juice from there. I'd pick another to submit to with at least PR3 or better. Ezine Articles are still the tops because their editors are strict about the articles they accept.
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby madmonk97 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:13 pm

When did GoArticles get slapped? Does Ezine Articles allow you to embed html code in your articles? Thanks. -steve
_____
steve
madmonk97

Postby Tel » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:27 pm

Steve, GoArticles got whacked because of too many spam/duplicate articles most likely. And no, you can't embed HTML in articles for ezine - shame, but that's the way they do it.
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby sharp eye » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:28 am

Terry, in an effort to facilitate fast indexing of my site, I have an article to submit to GoArticles.com, but I don't know how to place HTML code in the body of the article. If that's not bad enough, I also don't know how to include an anchor tag (with main keywords as the anchor text) in the first paragraph (or anywhere else!) :-D Can you help?
I'm a true newbie (though I think that could go without saying!), but I plan to be a fast learner.
Thanks for your help!

Alan
(url removed by mod)

P.S. I'm guessing that I didn't do the URL thing right either... since it doesn't look like everyone else's. :-o Guess I need a little help in that department as well.
sharp eye

Next

Return to Article Writing