[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Honest Way Forum • View topic - Time...

Time...

This is the place to cool off, put your feet up and discuss anything and everything related or unrelated to the online business sector. Chill and relax! NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Time...

Postby Tel » Sun May 27, 2007 7:54 am

Time.

I remember a certain fictitional starship captain start the intro to the show with the immortal words of Gene Roddenberry

"Space, the final frontier..."

Maybe, for the Internet marketer, that could be re-worded slightly to

"Time, the final barrier..."

Why?

Because it seems that there's just not enough of it to do the things I need and want to do.

Dragging up my online business by its bootstraps takes an awful lot of it. Then there is the offline work that is sparodic here in Spain, but gratefully received when it appears. Like 6 weeks ago I got a great, 3 week at the outside gardening contract with a 6 hour day and they actually pay my fee (most want the work done for peanuts). So I couldn't turn it down, and although it meant less time online, it is generating me some desperately needed cash.

Well, 6 weeks later, I'm still there and it looks like going on for at least another two weeks, so on the one hand I'm glad of the work, but on the other hand I can't devote as much time as I want to the online business at a time in its development when I really should be giving it my all.

Ok, I still get 4-6 hours a day online (more at weekends) so it's not like I'm abandoning it. But those few hours go by so quickly and I just don't seem to be able to get all the things done that I want.

My writing time is much less, which means less forum activity (and subsequently less promotion of my business) and my paid article submissions to Constant Content have had to go on hold (I can afford to do that as CC will still be there if I don't submit for a few weeks, whereas my business need constant tending).

As I physically need to sleep as well, I don't see where I can snatch any more hours out of the day!

One bit of good to come out of all this is it also means my procrastination time is severely limited! So at least my time spent in front of the PC is better spent :lol:

Yep, I know the answer is to manage my time better and I'll get more done, but that's ok if you have that kind of discipline. I don't and although I know what I should do, I still don't do it enough. Must have something to do with my overactive brain - I tend to have a fairly short attention span when faced with several different things that need to be done. Sure, I can write a list and cross the items off when each one is done, but I lose patience quickly with some things and have to switch to doing something else, or I just drift into bored mode and it doesn't get done anyway. Its not something I can easily overcome either - I know the psychology behind it but knowing it doesn't mean it works for me. So for my sideways working brain, the best thing is to actually switch tasks as soon as the interest starts to wane - that way, I at least get more done and don't waste too much time procrastinating.

So here I am, on a Sunday morning working away furiously while the rest of Spain is still snoring in its collective beds. I stopped briefly a couple of hours ago to take the dogs out for a quick walk to watch the sun come up (now that's worth getting up early for!).

I feel it's worth it as I have completed the last few articles of the 10 part mini series ready to post daily over the next few days as well as having made good inroads into my ebook for my alt-cures site (another on-going albeit sluggish project that has suffered through the lack of hours).

Time.

Wouldn't it be great if there were more of it?
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby magnetize » Tue May 29, 2007 7:57 am

Words spoken so true,

I know exactly how you feel Terry as I'm in a similar boat. I have to keep cooking at present to pay the bills and therefore this takes me away from the computer for around 30+hours/week.

I started to write down the most important tasks into my diary on what to do to generate cash. Like writing for pay and blogging for pay. The rest is then spent with forum posting and others traffic generating activities. Since implementing this little step it has actually improved my productivity heaps. Maybe this will help you too. Just remember to actually read your diary daily. :lol:

It can become quite overwhelming trying to do all we need to grow the business but implementing little steps will actually help you to get better at following through with the important tasks and then build on that.

Time is precious after all!

Monika :P

magnetize

Postby Oosha » Tue May 29, 2007 9:00 am

Time is like sand through the hourglass.

I for one am guilty of wasting the little time that I get to spend online.

I have been writing down stuff that I do online daily before going to work and after coming back at night and realized that most of my time is going in doing a hundred different things online and not completing even one.

Just started to write out a "To Do" list - every day, to help me focus on the tasks at hand.

I am going to make my days longer. How? Taking control of my time and practicing techniques for managing it well hopefully should put more time into the day.

If only thoughts translate to action, I would have been earning by now instead of worrying about my future :P

Usha

Oosha

Postby magnetize » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:41 am

I think we need to learn to focus on our priorities, if we want to master time in some way. Sometimes I'm guilty of surfing the web and not achieving anything for hours. Other times (increasingly) I'm actually doing the tasks I have to do in order to earn money first, before I go trundling about the net. :D
Maybe allowing 1 hour a day or more if you can to first write those articles, blog reviews and whatever else makes you money and then do everything else after might help some. I know it helps me.

Monika :wink:

magnetize

Postby Tel » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:50 am

I agree totally.

The days when I get the most done are when I sit down and do my writing tasks first. I try to get at least one website article written a day, then another one to either sell on CC or to go to ezine zrticles. CC gets the bulk because I need the money! Then its a blog entry or an update to one of my sites.

Then I've got the rest of the time to go round the forums - when I pick up something of interest it will take up some of my time researching - like BlogsVertise the other day.

I signed up and read up about it (in that order!) then the next day they sent me two sites to review. I spent less than half an hour writing about them but what took up a lot more time was finding that one of those sites had a pretty interesting looking affiliate program.

Well that had to be investigated and I ended up signing up to it and pitting the code on the website to promote it.

It's that sort of diversion to tasks that take up a lot of my time - I seem to be doing one thing one moment then I've gone off on a tangent and hours have vanished from my day!

But at least it's all related to the business, so that time is not actually wasted - I just wish there was more of it to do more...
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby Chelsea » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:54 pm

There is only a limited amount of time in anyone's day. But that amount is different for different people.

We all have different lives and in those lives we have our own set of tasks to perform during the day. Some people are lucky in that they are naturally organised and can allocate just the right amount of time to each task them cheerfully move on to the next one.

For them, very little of that precious commodity is wasted between tasks and they get everything done that they had to do in the time they had allocated to do them.

For the rest of the mortals on this planet, time is there to be wasted in great swathes and we can be disorganised and frenetic when tasks aren't completed. That makes us stressed and even less likely to be able to do what needs to be done. The vicious circle is complete and we spiral down towards the end of the day feeling tired, sometimes angry with ourselves for not doing all the things we should have done and go to bed still wound up and tense and are then unable to get a good night's sleep.

What happens? The following morning we wake up feeling even more tired than we did when we went to bed only now we have today's tasks to do as well as completing those left over from yesterday.

Oh my, what a sorry mess!

So how do we disorganised people get over this? Often we don't, simply piling up the workload all week then working through the weekend to complete everything so we can at least start the following week fresh.

There is another way. Simply by accepting ourselves as we are, knowing our limitations and strengths and weaknesses helps us to see ourselves as we truly are.

Human.

Simply that and no more and no less.

Imperfect and prone to periods of inactivity and daydreaming. These things are actually a necessary part of our waking lives as our body's way of saying "I need a break". So by allowing ourselves that break, even if it is just ten minutes out of our routine every so often, we'll find that we are actually more able to complete tasks that previously we believed were beyond us.

By setting goals that are achievable by other, more organised people than ourselves, we don't stand a chance. But by setting our goals to be achievable by ourselves, knowing how we are and how we cope with our tasks, then we can achieve them.

Then we can feel that our time is not wasted, merely put to the best use we can with what we are.
Chelsea

Chelsea

Postby tam2005 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:02 pm

Tammy

tam2005

Postby magnetize » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:28 pm

magnetize

Postby Tel » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:56 pm

I'm back on this thread again because the old enemy (time) is becoming an even rarer resource just lately!

I'm still having to work offline to make the bills, so my online time is stretched. I've made it worse for myself by starting up a lot of blogs that all need feeding with content (and very regularly) if I'm going to get out of them what I intend putting in.

As you can see from my squidoo thread, I've also put together 16 lenses in total now - and they all have a goodly serving of original content that took ages to collate and write.

So if time was a precious commodity back when I first started this thread, it's even more so now!

Oh the things we do to ourselves :lol:
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby Oosha » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:41 pm

Come Jan 2008, 'my best friend' is coming back into my life ....time...my long lost friend.

I have no clue how I am going to manage so much of it. I know part of it is going to be spent here for sure. Missed being here Terry.

Will certainly make up for the lost time and check out what you, Monika, and Frank have been up to.

Usha :)

Oosha

Postby Tel » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:49 am

Hi Usha,

It's nice to hear from you just so we know you're still ok! I bet you can't wait for the day you finally leave your job to work full-time on your computer.

Good luck and I hope you get more chances to drop in on us! :D
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby magnetize » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:15 am

Hey,

I'm also one of the casualties of lost time. :D But contrary to popular believe I love it. I apologize for having been absent here for so long. Seems like ages really and I aim to drop by more regularly now.

Lost has happened since I left and it is too much to bore everybody with details. Besides Terry's and my JV I am incredible busy with writing.

I have even been getting referrals from clients in the UK which is great! Besides that I got promoted by one of my clients to become an editor on one of his blogs which has a PR of 4 and an Alexa ranking of 19,700. I am totally amazed by this and I suppose my client must be very happy with my work so far to give me so much trust and in a way responsibility.

I have also scored an interview with a well known blogger and will feature this on my blog sometime soon. I'm still waiting on the answers.

So all in all, live is good but I do work very hard for this. I believe that I need to forge as many networks now that I can as later this will help me in my career as a blogger and writer.

Anyway, just thought to give everybody a heads up and I promise not to bore you with more details.

Take care
Monika
The returning blogger on Terry's forum

magnetize

Postby Tel » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:12 pm

Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby Arcadian » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:43 pm

Time. I remember that. Try being an accountant with 90% of the year's work to do in two months AND have mother-in-law staying with you while the time-has-no-meaning-at-all solicitors dilly dally over completing on her new flat. Said flat needs to be decorated next weekend. Then I need to go to my Mum's to help her out ....

:?
Sharon Horswill
~~~~
Arcadian

Postby Tel » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:27 pm

You sound like you need a holiday!

Maybe one as far away from all that as possible - like maybe a nice beach in the Caribbean or even better - Australia! :lol:

...hang about - I need one of those as well!

Now I just need to make some more money and...
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby steveg » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:36 pm

steveg

Postby Medicman » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:36 am

Medicman

Postby Tel » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:52 am

Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Re: Time...

Postby Medicman » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:55 pm

Thanks for the advice about the full rights. I signed up last summer, but have never written for them yet. I took a break from trying IM kind of things until about 3 months ago, but am looking to do some writing. All I have to do now is finish opening two cottages (only two more weeks to go, thank heavens!) and I'll get a little more time to do IM things.

Medic

Medicman

Return to The Lounge