[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Honest Way Forum • View topic - Blog Question For Monika!

Blog Question For Monika!

This is the place to cool off, put your feet up and discuss anything and everything related or unrelated to the online business sector. Chill and relax! NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Blog Question For Monika!

Postby shezz » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:47 pm

I guess this is directed at Monika because I'm quite impressed with her blog. I chose it as a thread rather than a pm so everyone can know how good her blog is :D

My question is:

How hard was it to set your blog up like that?

I have had a blog with blogger.com which has just been blocked - apparently this is quite common blocking blog thinking they are spam blogs. I've been insured by many people that when they review my submission they'll put it back on.

I've also had lots of suggestions to get rid of blogger and use Wordpress on my site.

So I have installed Wordpress, now I'm just trying to work out how to use it. I can see how to post a post, but its the templates and setting up the sidebar, that sort of thing, I just have no idea what I'm doing.

I noticed you have a template that's not the basic 2 that come with it, was it very hard to install the template.

Any advice on setting it up would be much appreciated.

Oh, and although my question is directed to Monika, everyone else feel free to answer too :D
Shezz
shezz

Postby magnetize » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:40 am

Hi Shezz,

Thank you for your nice comments regarding my blog. Good to get all the great feedback so far. Makes me even more determined to keep going.

As for your questions I will try to answer them as much as I can.
As you have already managed to install your template ( I guess it was with c panel's fantastico) thats a great start.

The first most important step is to choose a template you really like. It is easy to change templates with wp (done with a couple of clicks) but be warned. If you do this on an established blog, you will loose parts of your sidebar installations like widgets. It happened to me and all though you won't loose your posts it is still annoying to loose anything, as you will have to learn about coding in the sidebar etc.

I don't mean to scare you off on this. It isn't really hard to learn. just a matter of trial and error. That's how I learn. :D

To get another template best is to do a Google search on "free WordPress templates" or "free WordPress themes". This will literally return so many options that you will find it hard to choose. The template I have is called "connections reloaded" it is a newer version of "connections".

Once you found a suitable template you will need to download the file to your hard drive. It will be delivered to you in a .zip file. First you will need to unzip it by "right click" then "expand with stuff it" destination "same folder as original". I bet you know how to do this and only write this as a help for newer people.

Once you got your template folder sitting there unzipped you will need to open up your ftp program and connect to your host.

For the purpose of this let's call the template/theme you choose = blue
connect to your host then navigate down by double clicking the following folder public_html - blog - wp-content - themes once you are there your host URL should read like the following
/public_html/blog/wp-content/themes

At this stage you will need to select the folder called "blue" (your theme) from your hard drive by highlighting it and click upload. If you have done this right it will show as one of your themes in your blog.

Now login in to your WP -admin You can do this by going to www.yourwebsite.com/blog/wp-admin if you have your blog installed in a subdomain. Look for the "Presentation" tab along the top, then "Themes" all you have left to do know is click on your newly uploaded "blue" theme which should show there now. If it doesn't show you uploaded it into the wrong directory.

I hope that this explains the procedure enough to be able to understand. If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Monika :wink:

magnetize

Postby Tel » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:05 pm

Monika, do you remember all the problems we had with editing files like headers and finding the right ones to edit etc?

I forgot to mention that after that (although you've probably found it yourself by now) that you can edit all the important files from within wordpress. From the Dashboard, go to the Presentation tab (where you'll see the theme you have installed, then click on the Theme Editor tab and you can alter all the right files like headers, posts, footers and even the stylesheet. Cool!

Also I was messing about with plugins over the weekend. There's a stats plugin that I added - maybe that's a topic for another post as it'll just muddy the waters for Shezz.

Anyway, well done Monika! Good post :D
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby shezz » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:43 am

Ok, thanks Monika

Hopefully one day this week I'll get time to do the template

Then I'll have to start working out how to do the sidebar. So its not a problem with anything on the sidebar changing since I haven't even worked out how to put anything into the sidebar as yet.
Shezz
shezz

Postby magnetize » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:17 am

magnetize

Postby shezz » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:58 am

I think perhaps I was just not mean to have a blog :?

Today I went in to try and write a post (my wordpress blog) and it won't let me write anything. I can write in the title, but it wont move into the box to write the content, I have no idea why, I wrote a post yesterday and it was fine.

Has that ever happened to you?
Shezz
shezz

Postby shezz » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:16 am

Thanks Monika

I have just uploaded my new theme and it worked perfectly :D

Although it has the photo of someone that came with it, I'm trying to work out now how to change that

Then it will be the sidebar stuff, I have no idea :?
Shezz
shezz

Postby shezz » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:40 am

Ok, now I'm nearly at 'give up' stage I think.

In my sidebar it is now showing 2 blogrolls. When I look at the css or whatever you call it for the sidebar I can only find one in there and it doesn't show the link that I have in there.

Its all very weird, I just can't find anything
Shezz
shezz

Postby magnetize » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:08 am

Hi Shezz,

That is weired! It should show the site according to the template you have uploaded. So if that template has only one sidebar it shouldn't show two.

One thing it could be that your copy of wordpress might be corrupted. Unfortunately that happens sometimes with software. It could also be that some other application is messing with your WP. I have found that since installing my CA security center I have nothing but trouble accessing things.

The editor needs to be checked in your profile for it to work
Use the visual editor when writing tick
I had the same problem before and it was always due to my firewall settings. I'm no expert with that and just uncheck it and it seems to work then.

If your WP template keeps playing up, then you might want to totally uninstall it and re-install it again. Let me know, if that helps

Monika

magnetize

Postby shezz » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:53 am

Update:

After spending hours trying to work out the 2 blogroll thing and having heaps of people from Warrior forum helping me it turned out one person went and downloaded the same theme to try it out, and it turns out it is a glitch with that theme, he got the same thing.

Even though in the code it only showed one blogroll, 2 still appeared.

So in the end I completely uninstalled Wordpress and reinstalled it, then downloaded a different theme - and it worked perfect.

This morning I then did another blog on my depression website too which also worked out perfect. It really is quite easy once you have done it once (as long as you don't get any glitches with the themes :D )

So here are my blogs - they don't really say too much as yet.

http://www.stayhome-mum.com/blog

http://www.depressiondays.com/blog

If anyone wants to do a link exchange on the blogs I'll be quite happy to do that just let me know.

Thanks again for your help Monika
Shezz
shezz

Postby magnetize » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:18 am

Hi Shezz,

I thought it was a problem with the software. I'm glad you got it sorted. I like both your blog templates all though my favorite of the two would be the stay-home-mum one. The other one is pretty considering the topic and I suppose very uplifting for a depressed person. Good choice.

The business one is neat and clean and I like that. I'm happy to do a link exchange with you. Just tell me what keywords you want hyper linked.
You can send me a PM and I will let you know what keyword I prefer if that is ok.

I bet you are going to blog like mad now you got it worked out.

Monika :wink:

magnetize

Postby Tel » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:17 am

Hi Shezz,

I liked them both and the graphic on your Depression Days is quite striking. I left you a comment on work at home mum - its good that you set the comments to be moderated - I had to do the same as the spammers were leaving their garbage almost as soon as I got mine up! It beats me how they find you so quick.

Anyway, congratulations and welcome to the addictive world of blogs!!!
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby shezz » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:47 am

Terry thanks for the comment. I didn't even know they had to be moderated until I got the email to do it, I think I'll leave it like that though its quite good.

With wordpress too it automatically pings through pingomatic each time you put on a post which is really good, one less thing to worry about.

Oh and guess what guys......

I'm typing this on my new laptop!!!!!

I finally got the longed for laptop, its taking me a while to get used to it though :D

Monika I'll PM you in a minute regarding the link exchange
Shezz
shezz

Postby Tel » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:16 am

Whooooohoooo! I knew you'd get your laptop! congratulations! :lol:
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby Oosha » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:16 am

Oosha

Postby magnetize » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:57 am

magnetize

Postby shezz » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:42 am

Shezz
shezz

Postby magnetize » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:12 am

magnetize

Postby Tel » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:12 am

That's a great idea - (the blog - well maybe the blonde too! :lol: )

I look forward to reading it!

It's something that I'd like to do one day (go round Oz, not go blonde!) as we sort of did that when I was a child on a mega drive from Sydney to Adelaide (twice) across the barren outback - I still remember that scenery - mile after mile of desert - a perfectly flat bed of sand - right up to the horizon with what looked like tiny puffs of smoke right on the edge of the world (they were trees, I later discovered!).

I bet you'll have a great time!
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby ftello » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:46 am

Hi Shezz,

Your blogs look great. Wordpress is harder to use but once you learn your way around it gets easier. I also got blocked from Blogger I have since stopped using them. I am planning to put what I had on that site to another WP site I am putting together. Good luck with your new blog and have a fun trip.

Frank
| |
ftello

Next

Return to The Lounge