[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Honest Way Forum • View topic - Why Direct Link Exchanges Don't Work

Why Direct Link Exchanges Don't Work

This is the place to exchange links with other websites. NO ADS!!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Why Direct Link Exchanges Don't Work

Postby Tel » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:28 pm

It's a title that makes you wonder why I even have a links exchange oard here, but read on...

By direct link exchanges, I mean link exchanges between similar sites of the same PR where one site links to the other and the other site links back to the first. It appears that these types of links tend to simply cancel each other out when the Google algorithm goes to work to determine who gets a PR hike or not.

Similarly, links between sites that are nor relevant to each other are simply ignored by the big G.

But there is a way of ensuring link juice from similar sites with link exchanges. You just have to have more than one site each and then box clever.

To get the full impact of link juice with, say two sites each is to cross link them. This is how it works.

Owner A links site 1 to owner B's site 2. Then owner B links his site 1 to owner A's site 2. That way each site owner gets a one-way full value back-link from a similar PR site.

You can make this more complicated by doing circular links. That works by adding another step to the above, like this:

Owner A links his site 1 to site 2 (but not back again) and similarly, Owner B links his site 2 to his site 1. That creates a circular set of one-way links between four sites that all get one link each.

You can make this as complicated as your brain can handle. I won't even try to explain it in words, you'll need to draw a diagram if you intend circular linking several sites together.

I did that with all my squidoo lenses so that no one lens lçhad a double link with another and all 18 are circular (and inter) linked.

No I'm not going to expain that either! :lol:
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby tam2005 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:18 pm

LOL! I'm confused Terry. :shock:

I don't even have the time to think about it today. lmao!!
Tammy

tam2005

Re: Why Direct Link Exchanges Don't Work

Postby dreamscaper » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:43 am

I read your words here a short while ago and then promptly forgot the valuable lesson and ended up circle linking in the wrong way, so that I probably cancelled out any link juice I would have got because all my movie sites actually ended up directly linking! lol Dumb, dumb, dumb...
Stephen
dreamscaper

Postby Tel » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:29 pm

Best way to wrok out circulat linking is to write it down on paper with arrows and boxes and stuff. Better do it in pencil first cause there's always a ton of rubbing out LMAO!! :lol:
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby nittany » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:12 am

Terry,

I am not sure if I agree with you about reciprocal linking. I have had several sites do very well with reciprocal linking. In fact, I think a great way to create a niche site is first create a social blog in that niche. Don't worry about SEO. Focus on being a part of the community. In the non-blogging and MMO niches, people add each other to blogrolls all the time. I have had sites become very well ranked doing this. Once you have authority, then write for search.

-Fred
nittany

Postby Tel » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:22 pm

Sure Fred, reciprocal linking still has its place and is better than none at all. It does improve keyword authority for a site.

What I'm trying to get across is that one-way links are far more beneficial when it comes to providing both link juice and keyword authority for a site than two way links. Griz explains it a lot better than me on his Make Money Online for Beginners site.
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby netbiz » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:07 am

Terry,

I have a question regarding the circular links method.

I am currently exchanging links with other websites, making sure that they are related. So I link my site 1 to my link partner's site 2 because they're related, and his/her website 1 links to my website 2 because they're also related.

Here's what I don't get. You said that links between unrelated sites get heavily discounted (or are simply ignored). Since my site 1 is not related to my site 2, (and most frequently, my linking partner's sites aren't related to each other either), how does the circular scheme benefit us? Yes, we will be adding links, but they're between unrelated sites.

Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose?
netbiz

Postby Tel » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:25 am

Yes, you answered your own question there. Circular linking is meant for sites that are all related.
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby Cata » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:55 pm

Hey Terry,

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you here. Contrary to popular belief, I think link exchanges still work. I know it from experience, but one doesn't need too believe me. Just look at the way in which Grizz and Vic did link exchange and boosted each other out. I have many websites in many niches, and I have seen websites rank first for a medium difficulty terms with nothing but crappy link exchanges with crappy link directories. Another example: one of the sites that's in top 10 for home improvement has nothing but link exchanges with other websites. Well, I think it's in top 20 now, but that's only because the site hasn't been worked on lately. Yes, one way links are better, but I have a question for everybody:
If you were given the possibility to link exchange with a website similar in quality to yours, what would you do? I'd always choose to link exchange.
Cata

Return to Link Exchange