[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Honest Way Forum • View topic - Deleting blogs and posts ?

Deleting blogs and posts ?

Here's a new forum to dicuss anything to do with blogs and blogging NO ADS

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Deleting blogs and posts ?

Postby advaita » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:37 am

I am once again faced with a conundrum for which I would much appreciate any info. from people with info. !

I have a blog in the MMO sector which is now on page 1 of Google for "make money online for beginners" (right below Griz and CarolineM) and on page 2 for "make money online blogging" - the blog in question is in my sig - Domain Names -

However, despite being on page 1 of Google for the above KWs it only gets about 40 visitors a day and even worse practically none of those visiting the blog actually find it by looking for "make money online" they find it for a whole range of other unrelated stuff (it's a 2 year old blog with a whole load of posts about all manner of things) - so for example "how to remove the date from wordpress posts" is particularly popular, along with 'nudetube' and a hotchpotch of other stuff - is this normal doctor ?

The most annoying element of all this is that I only get 40 visitors, they are not looking for MMO, they don't click on anything (why would they?) and now the clicks I do get are for 1 cent ! I've removed all ads. but feel like removing all posts that are non MMO related and even feel like deleting the blog and starting again from scratch ! Although I was told it's not a good idea to delete blogs. A while back I did some payperpost posts and woder if this is still causing a problem.

Any thoughts from you guys as ever would be much appreciated.
advaita

Re: Deleting blogs and posts ?

Postby Tel » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:53 pm

You're right not to delete the blog.

What you need to do is go back through all the old posts and change the titles (not their permalinks) to MMO related keywords. In fact you are in an excellent position to cash in on all the long tails that people are already finding you for (as long as they are MMO related) by taking some old posts and changing the titles to match them.

While you're changing titles it is also worth editing the content of each post so it contains more of the keywords you want your ads to fire for. Take out any old PPP links completely as you don't need to keep them in there after so much time. Each post you complete and save, bookmark it with Onlywire to get it some free links and the SE bots calling. WP posts should auto-ping to whatever service you have set up (usually ping-o-matic). You could also send each post a KW anchored link from a farm blog to give it some authority.

I did the same on a couple of my old blogs (different niche) a while ago and it transformed them totally - they get more targeted traffic, the ads are spot on and they get clicked!
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby advaita » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:19 pm

Wow - excellent stuff El Tel ! I had thought of doing something along those lines but didn't fancy the idea for something I was not even half sure would make any difference - but now I shall get it done ! Tout de suite in fact. Unfortunately with regard to longtails most of them have nothing to do with MMO. By WP posts I presume you mean Wordpress - the blog is a blogger blog (I find Wordpress extremely irritating) - I took out the PPP links a while back butit is possible there may be still one or two lurking in there somewhere. Good idea about the backlinks from farmers - I shall see if I can find any friendly ones - (I don't think I've ever met a friendly farmer in my life !)

Many thanks - I'll let you know how it all works out.

P.S. You may be wondering why people looking for 'change the date in wordpress' end up on a blogger blog - it's because a while back I had some WP blogs and it was such a pain trying to change a date that after I finally managed to do it I wrote a post explaining how to do it and stuck it up on my blogger blog !
advaita

Postby lissie » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:02 pm

You have great pics - use them, on my travel blog I get more search traffic from images than anything else - rename the jpg to something relevant - oh I dunno like "sbi will such your brains out" :-) I don' t know if the traffic converts though - its a today blog so I dont deal with that side of things.

There are some old Grizz posts re techie blogger - worth bookmarking cause I can never find the bloody thing when I want it h**p://beginner-blogger-basics.blogspot.com/2008/12/how-to-add-adsense-above-post-title-in.html

Dealing with 200 comments in a weekend , had to up the bandwidth a lot - but it was OK - cause my Adsense ID is nowhere on that site - I would have been seriously worried if it had been - though I don't think the trolls were that smart - you never know.

Its not an obvious blogger blog - its just the gravatar that gives it away - I think grizz has a post on that ref on how to change that - then you can look just like a real blog :lol: I get a bit of traffic re blogger cause I moved from blogger to WP so yup right keywords and you will be fine.

I'll pop you in the sidebar on lissies notorious blog if you can handle the bad neighbourhood - what keywords?
Lis
and Controversy!
lissie

Postby madmonk97 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:59 pm

Sorry to get off topic, but Terry, do you use onlywire instead of BMD or in addition to it. I haven't purchased BMD because $147 seems fairly expensive for the low quality links.

-steve
_____
steve
madmonk97

Postby Tel » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:20 pm

I use Onlywire and not BMD - I've always kept an eye on what Griz does and doesn't do - he doesn't use BMD.

I know Vic does and lots of people do and BMD does get a huge number of low quality links, so it of course has value.

But for me, I believe one good, keyword anchored link from a site is worth hundreds of BMD generated links and I can create enough of those to theoretically outperform BMD.

I also use Onlywire to bookmark a new post on a site that contains a link upwards and I want to index it and get the bots crawling it. In that sense Onlywire is good enough to get the juice flowing, which is all I need it to do.
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby korprit » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:03 pm

terry touched on exactly what i use BMD for. massive amounts of low value links. honestly, i think terry is probably right that onlywire is more than enough. however, i value BMD for the shear QUANTITY of links. i don't use BMD for boosting SERPs. I use bmd for indexing (getting crawls of new or updated content) and for MASKING my links. there are a LOT of people who do not use tools like SEO elite, and masking your strong links with hundreds to thousands of shit links can be very useful for dissuading would be competitors.

Think about it, if you check yahoo for backlinks to a site and you see 10k results. the first 3-5 pages are all different social sites....no sign of a strong link anywhere...how easy do you think that niche will be? In fact, one niche i have one good quality site linking in and put me top 5. it's backlinks show 500+ social links. with out elite, good luck finding my power link ;)

if you don't want to mask your links, i'm sure social marker, onlywire, etc. are probably more than enough to get indexing and crawls
korprit

Postby advaita » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:54 pm

Well I finally cleaned up the blog and put in some keywords - I wrote a new post today and stuck Adsense back on it and got a couple of 50 cent clicks ! Quite an achievement after the 1 cent click I got last week, let's hope it continues.

I am now in the process of going through another blog that's got 800 posts that need tweaking.

Is Onlywire similar to SocialMarker i.e. a site that submits your post to a load of social blogging sites ? Or does it have something extra ?

Thanls for the help guys/gals.
advaita

Return to Blogging