[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Honest Way Forum • View topic - How To Set Up Your Own Hosted Wordpress Blog

How To Set Up Your Own Hosted Wordpress Blog

Here's a new forum to dicuss anything to do with blogs and blogging NO ADS

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

How To Set Up Your Own Hosted Wordpress Blog

Postby Tel » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:37 pm

Setting up a hosted blog is not as hard as it sounds. There's a few steps you need to take and it practically does the hard work for you:

1. Start by registering a domain name. That you'll have to seek out for yourself, but GoDaddy.com are pretty good and quite cheap - $8.95 a year for a ".com". you can register with them for free and set up to pay via paypal which is quite convenient. They have a search bar where you can type in names that take your fancy and see if they're available or not. I find that can be quite addictive and time consuming, but it has to be done. Once you find a name you like that is available, you just click on the "Buy" button and they take you through a few panels. Watch them as they'll try to sell you other stuff, so avoid the hype and click to the checkout part and you'll be ok. There's lots of options like registering the domain for more than one year, and different levels of registration - but to keep it simple just go for a one or two year public registration - unless you want to spend more money and have a private registration which just hides some of your details from whois searches - personally I don't think it's worth it.

2. Once you have your domain name, you'll need a hosting company - Hostgator are pretty good and they're who I use. It'll cost you $9.95 a month for their "baby croc" hosting and it's all you'll probably ever need. I have an affiliate link if you want to help me out - check out the sidebar in my blog for their banner!

It doesn't cost you any more to go through my link and I get a small commission for sending you over. You just need to allow cookies to be set via any anti-spyware sotware you have running on your PC first, or they won't know where the link came from.

3. You'll need to tell HostGator what domain name you will be hosting with them. When you get to that part, I'll have to check out the steps, because it was a while ago...

4. Once you get your hosting package set up, they'll give you a login and password for something called cPanel. That's where you can control most of what you do with your sites - I'll explain it later if you want! What you need to find is the icon for "Fantastico" somewhere near the bottom of the page.

5. Click Fantastico and it comes up with a list of services that it will install for you down the left hand side of the page.

6. Select Wordpress (under Blogs) and click.

7. In the panel that opens on the right, click "New Installation"

8. In the next panel that opens it'll ask you for your domain name and which directory you want to install your blog. Leave it blank if you are using the domain solely for a blog and it will install all the files you need in your root directory.

... more info to follow when I get more time!!! :?
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby rac » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:24 pm

Thanks for the 'Fantastico' post Terry.
rac

Postby Tel » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:54 pm

Glad it helped!

There is quite a bit more but I'm knackered right now as I've been on this thing for 13 hours straight already! My eyes are starting to lose focus...

the main thing is to have your nameservers (for your domain) pointing to HostGator - you do that from the "your account" panel at Godaddy (if you got your domain there). It's fairly straightforward - I think the tab is "domains" and from the drop down box click "My Domains".

You'll get a list of all your domains (or just the one). When you tick the box to the left of it, the icons above sort of light up. Click on "nameservers". There'll be at least the first two boxes with nameservers in, pointing to godaddy. You have to copy the nameservers HostGator gave you in the email they sent, and paste them into the first two boxes (overwrite what's in them).

Then hit "OK" and wait.

It can take between an hour and several hours for the nameservers to resolve to Hostgator, so you won't see your site up in lights until that's happened.

Then you can start playing with your blog!

I'll post some more tomorrow. :D
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby rac » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:40 pm

Cheers Tel, looking ofrward to it!
rac

Postby rac » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:05 pm

I now have my own hosted blog!

Thats the first part done, thanks to Tel 8)

I just need to get my head round how to add some cool features, oh, and some content!
rac

Postby tam2005 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:12 pm

Hi rac,

You can add Google Adsense to your blog too. :)

For those that use the free wordpress blog...you can't include adsense on those.

Good luck with it rac! :D
Tammy

tam2005

Postby rac » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:28 pm

Yes, good thinking Tam, it's quite exciting once you get into it isnt it! :lol:

One trick I learnt from another blogger is to set your blog as your homepage, so you are reminded each day to update it!
rac

Postby tam2005 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:54 pm

Yep, that's what I did with

I love it! :)
Tammy

tam2005

Postby Tel » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:37 am

Absolutely - it is the way to go with websites. I've changed most of my sites so that the blog is now the homepage - all except this one.

Why?

I made a rod for my back here. The blog (and it's url) is registered with a lot of different sites now and to change it would be an absolute nightmare - plus I use it to write some paid reviews, so the permanent url for each post is logged and so I'd cause even more problems if I changed it now.

But all the other blogs that I write are set up properly - ready for when they are mature enough to take some paid reviews themselves - and maybe a little further down the line some paid advertising space.

PS: Rich, sorry I haven't updated that wordpress post yet - I'll try to find some time today to add to it!
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby rac » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:22 am

Thanks Tel, looking forward to it :D
rac

Add-on Domains and Subdomains

Postby Tel » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:46 am

Here's some info on add-on domains and subdomains:

With your Hostgator account you can host as many blogs and websites as you want - no extra cost. That's why I love it - I've got loads of websites and blogs all running on the same server.

Setting up more websites/blogs is as easy as setting up your first one - you can use the cPanel to add an "add-on domain" for a new site that you have bought a domain for, or you can create a "subdomain" which is something that you add to your existing domain.

Its easiest to give you an example rather than try to explain it.

On this site - www.thehonestway.com - I have the main page plus a lot of separate pages for articles, resources etc plus a blog and this forum. They look like this: www.thehonestway.com/forum

I also have a couple of subdomains which are like separate websites/blogs. Here is one:

www.makemoney.thehonestway.com

That's a fully functional blog/website with it's own pages and blog. I didn't have to buy the domain, as I already own "thehonestway.com" - I just added the "makemoney" bit as a subdomain.

An add-on domain is one where you buy the domain name and host it as a separate entity. Here's another of mine:

www.terrydidcott.com

It's hosted on this hostgator account so when you look at it via FTP, it looks like a sub-folder of the main "thehonestway.com", but it's a completely separate website.

The difference between a subdomain and an add-on domain is not much as far as Hostgator is concerned - they are both filed as sub-folders - but to the outside world (including the search engines and Alexa) a subdomain is a part of the main website, whereas an add-on domain is a totally separate entity.

You can see how Alexa treats them by looking at the above sites.

www.makemoney.thehonestway.com has the same Alexa rank as www.thehonestway.com.

That's because Alexa sees them as the same wenbsite.

www.terrydidcott.com has a different Alexa rank, because it is seen as a separate website.

Hope that clears that up!
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Adding Pages to a WordPress Blog

Postby Tel » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:12 am

Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby rac » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:16 am

rac

Postby magnetize » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:04 am

Terry,

Great tutorial there on wordpress. Put it into an ebook for even more exposure! People are always on the lookout for information like this and it would be very popular I believe.

Monika :wink:

magnetize

Postby tam2005 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:58 pm

Terry I agree with Monika...awesome tutorial there! :D
The ebook idea is a great one, go for it. :wink:
Tammy

tam2005

Postby Tel » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:57 am

Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin