[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Honest Way Forum • View topic - Anyone know how to make changes to Forum Layout?

Anyone know how to make changes to Forum Layout?

Please feel free to make any suggestions on ways to improve this forum (or the parent website) or comments about anything forum-related. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Anyone know how to make changes to Forum Layout?

Postby Tel » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:45 pm

I've already got a question for anyone who might know.

The forum is standard phpBB format as was downloaded from my cPanel. I've seen other forums that use the same, but have managed to incorporate them into their website format. Now, I know I can get downloads of different styles ie colours etc, but I want to make a few different changes that I'm sure are simple enough to do once I know how.

I'm guessing it will involve changing the style.css parameters.

I want to incorporate the website's header and menu bar along the top of the page and have some room for a few ads to monetise the forum. And maybe squeeze the page a little so there is a left and right border.

If anyone knows, please reply. Thanks :D
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby shezz » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:08 pm

Sorry can't help you Tel

Was it hard getting the forum up and running, I've been thinking for a while about starting one.

Does it cost or did it come with your hosting?
Shezz
shezz

Postby Tel » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:59 am

I found it when I was idly browsing through the list of features on cPanel that came with my HostGator account. Not that it was obvious.

Rewind back in time a few days...

I noticed a lot of other forums were using this phpBB code that was apparently free open source. So I found the website http://.phpbb.com and set up my first effort there. They host your forum on their server, but you don't get much in the way of instruction or support.

That would have been fine, but I wanted the forum on my own server so that it would be a content asset to my website. I couldn't figure out how to move it over and there wasn't any obvious tutorial or manual that said how. And I didn't really have time to fiddle with it (at my pace it would have taken days, if not weeks!)

Fast forward to Monday and back to HostGator's cPanel.

I was curious as to what Fantastico was, so I opened it an lo and behold, there was phpbb in the list. It was as simple as anything to load it onto my public.html folder and voila! It took about a day to set the actual forum layout up as you have to do that via the admin panel - creating each individual topic is time consuming and so was setting up all the authorisations. I'm still tweaking that now.

The forum works perfectly, just like the many others that are around. I just want to change the layout ever so slightly - I can live with the colour scheme as it's easy to read and more importantly easy on the eyes. I just want to squeeze it in a bit at the sides, put my banner over the top and maybe add some advertising (but not too much).

I'm sure it can't be too hard - maybe it just means fiddling with the style sheet and index files. I'll see when I get some spare time... in between trying to make some money promoting the site, building my next niche site, creating more content and stopping every now and then to eat!

Did I mention sleep as well??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby shezz » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:04 am

I know what you mean, I spend so much time on this computer its not funny.

I'm with hostgator so I'll have to check it out. Although just thinking about it now I might wait about 6 months since in July I'm going away for 3 months, so there's probably not much point starting a forum when I wont be here to run it.
Shezz
shezz

Postby magnetize » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:34 pm

magnetize

Postby Marc Meole » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:05 pm

Marc Meole

Postby Tel » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:41 pm

Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions and Comments