[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Honest Way Forum • View topic - Google Weirdness Story - Must See!!!

Google Weirdness Story - Must See!!!

General online business related discussions go here. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Google Weirdness Story - Must See!!!

Postby thechettybear » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:56 pm

As you all know Google recently did another pagerank update and with it came a lot of shifting and movement in the SERPs. I just wanted to let you all in on a recent experience I had in regards to my best website. I only wanted to talk about it just to give you all an idea of how strange google is behaving these days (not that most of you don't already know that). This should all give most of you a better level of comfort if the same thing happens to you in the future.

On to the meat of the post now...

Before the pagerank update my website was a PR1 and after the pagerank update it was a PR4. Now I know PR doesn't really matter when it comes to SERP rankings but I still figure it was good and I must be doing something google likes.

Shortly after the pagerank update I noticed a huge slide in the SERPs for nearly all of my keywords. This included over 50 different long tails that I was on page 1 for. For most of them I moved back to the middle of page 2 but for others I went back as far as page 7-10. As you can guess this resulted in a huge drop is daily traffic.

My website was getting 7500-8500 page loads per day according to statcounter and here is what happened after my backward shift in the SERPs.

8th January 2009 5,690
7th January 2009 6,510
6th January 2009 6,722
5th January 2009 5,790
4th January 2009 5,508
3rd January 2009 5,325
2nd January 2009 4,856
1st January 2009 4,508
31st December 2008 4,463
30th December 2008 4,340
29th December 2008 3,671
28th December 2008 2,544
27th December 2008 2,839
26th December 2008 2,751
25th December 2008 3,699
24th December 2008 4,546
23rd December 2008 6,517
22nd December 2008 7,080
21st December 2008 6,591
20th December 2008 6,953
19th December 2008 6,948
18th December 2008 7,631
17th December 2008 8,524
16th December 2008 8,183
15th December 2008 7,962
14th December 2008 8,303
13th December 2008 8,069

As you can see near the beginning of the stats I showed you I was getting around 8000 page loads and then after the pagerank update the page loads dropped to as low as 2544 which is less than 1/3 of the traffic I was getting before the update. Of course you can also see that my traffic started to slowly go back up but still 2000-3000 pageloads of its norms.

This whole thing really stressed me out and put a huge drag on my income for several weeks. I worried that google was in some way slapping my site but then all of the sudden I woke up this morning and my website was back in the exact same positions is was before the pagerank update for almost every single long tail keyword, right back on page one for all of them.

I hope all of you can read my story and someday when your site seems to get a mini slap you will be able to understand that it is more than likely just Google fooling around again and your site will probably be back in no time.

Have a great day!
thechettybear

Re: Google Weirdness Story - Must See!!!

Postby ejcross » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:07 pm

This is all to common of an occurance when Google is updating page rank or changing something.

Most sites disappear or drop for sometime and then reappear, usually about the same place or better. This can be considered a "Google flush" of their index, what their database has stored in it. Every so often , G will go through and "flush" stuff out and rebuild their index. This occurs when they are making a change in their algorythm or modifying their banned sites stuff too.

Glad all worked out in the end trackstar, care to share those keywords???? lol ;-)
|
ejcross

Return to General Business