How to reduce the amount of time we spend in front of the PC

General online business related discussions go here. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

How to reduce the amount of time we spend in front of the PC

Postby raz2009 » Fri May 22, 2009 7:17 pm

I do not know if something like this has been discussed in the past on this forum as I didn't yet get a chance to go through all the threads. If it has been discussed before, sorry for opening it again here. If it hasn't then that's great.

I wanted to hear all you opinions on how you try to reduce the amount of time you spend in front of the computer. We all probably stay for a couple of hours daily in front of the PC and this is going to make our health suffer in time. That's why we need to think of ways to do what we have to do while we also cut down on the PC time.

Here are my 2 cents on this:

For article writing I use a combination of things that reduce the PC time a lot. After I found a topic to write about I usually go to ezinearticles.com or goarticles.com or even search G for that topic and compile some info in a word document. After I gathered enough info I print that word. I then take the printed material and I'm using it as a blueprint for what I'm writing. I write on a piece of paper (not at the PC). Writing a good to great 500+ quality article usually takes me between 15-40 minutes depending on the topic (if I know anything about it or not). If I were to write it at the computer (I used to do that and sometimes stil do) I would get unfocused and wouldn't know how to start and I would end up writing the article in far more than 30 minutes.

I found that by writing on paper I do a better job and in less time. This works for me. After I finished that article I must translate it in a PC way - word file or text file. Now, until lately I wondered how to do this faster than just typing it. I knew there where some tools that write what you speak but I wanted something free ;) so I searched on G for something like this and I found a question on yahoo answers that gave me what I needed. It seems that the office word 2003 has a "speech" function located in the tools area and you can make the computer actually write what you say! I did not know this!

All you have to do is teach him to understand what you are saying and this is done by reading some text in the microphone - they provide this in word and after a little training, the PC will do all the work for you. I can speak a 500+ words article in under 10 minutes, sometimes even faster! And the great thing about this is that the computer does not make many mistakes. There are some words that it will write wrong but this is a quick fix. I don't know how to make him add the punctuation marks and I have to add them myself and this is why it take 10 minutes to get it done.

If someone knows how to make the computer add those punctuation marks please share ;)

Anyway, the main idea is I get a 500+ words article done in 25-55 minutes and the quality is very good and I only spend 10 minutes in front of the computer which is why I am doing this in the first place, because my health is much more important than writing a fast article at the computer and I try to reduce that time as much as possible.

This works for me. It may or may not work for you, but I wanted to share it here as it may help some people out. Hope it does.

Now, what tools do you use to reduce the amount of time spent in front of the PC? And also what tools do you use in general to make things work faster, as this also reduces the time at the computer.
raz2009

Return to General Business