[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Honest Way Forum • View topic - WHY your domain choice is crucial...

WHY your domain choice is crucial...

General online business related discussions go here. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

WHY your domain choice is crucial...

Postby Bonusdays » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:31 pm

Thoughts and musings on how your choice of domain names may play a bigger role in you level of success then ever imagined.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you know, have recently learned or will soon learn, one-way links to your site is at the very core of you success.

Specifically, one-way links with your preferred/targeted keyword as the anchor text of that link. There are certainly other factors such as PR, on-theme etc. but at the core of one-way properly anchored links are the core of value.

Now... how does this tie in with your choice of domain names as well as something to consider when researching a market.

I'll tell you.

I noticed something a while back and only recently had the "AH-HA" moment that connected the dots to show the pattern.

If you look at your site stats you will notice that the anchor text for links coming into your site follow a general pattern. Probably only a few (or maybe none at all) include you keyword. If you sort them you will see such things as your name, you site title, your URL, your domain name, "click here", "check this out", "here" etc. This pattern occurs for all domains that gained links naturally.

And that is specifically why your choice of domain name is so important. A domain that is only the keyword is best followed by a domain that includes the keyword with as little as possible additional fluff.

If you want your site to rank for "spruce tree", sprucetree.com would be ideal. Secondary choices would be mysprucetree.com or sprucetreedepot.com etc... You get the idea.

Well... let's think about something.

There was a time when it was "widely believed" that you needed to put dashes in your domain names so that the spiders could read your keywords. Since they weren't ran together in natural text, it was reasoned, the spiders were unable to read them thus the dashes. It is now "widely believed" to be a non-issue and most folks avoid dashes if at all possible.

* As a side not, I'd bet it never was an issue... but I digress.

So...

If the spiders are smart enough to pull your runtogetherkeywords out of your URL, then surely they are able to pull them out of that same URL when it is used as anchor text.

Now let's take the conversation from "I believe that to be true" into the realm of "I think this might be the case."

Can a spider process a URL in such a way as to comb out your keyword from a URL and/or anchor text even if there is garbage in between them? I think that just might be the case... as long as they are in order and maybe that doesn't even matter.

Back to our mythical site longing for a #1 spot for "spruce tree."

We hunt and hunt but all the good domains are taken. We spend days and find that all the good blogspot sub domains are gone as well.

What’s a squirrel to do? Oh my!

What if you were able to register sprucefurniturefromoregontrees.com

Now, that is a gawd awful long domain but I assert (and encourage your feedback) that the spiders will take all the other "on-page" stuff into account, look at all of your nice anchored links that say "spruce tree" and think... Oh yeah, I see it there in the domain: spruce tree.

Just a thought...

Take this into account when sizing up the #1 spot that you want to take over. That seemingly push over site at #1 just might take a bit more work than you ever expected simply because the keyword is the domain name or at least somewhere in the domain. This means that a significant percentage of their "garbage" links will be viewed by the spiders as properly anchored links.

Now... my hunch is that it won't carry as much juice as an outright key word anchored link but from what I'm seeing it does carry a lot more juice that a typical garbage link.

The good news:

I was looking at a market the other day as a possible one to go after. All of the top sites were PR3 or less, there was evidence that some real money was being made even though it is a niche hobby site. Then I saw it... none of the top sites have the keyword in their domain name. They all chose to go with more brandable domain names and wound up only including one of the 2 words in the keyword phrase... easy pickins if I include both word in my domain :)

Conversely, if you find that the top spot has the keyword as it's domain name or in its domain name, just understand that it is even more important that you too include the keyword in your domain name otherwise you will always be at a disadvantage. And... why would you do that to yourself?

As you graduate to full Jedi link builder, you may stray from this and use an on-topic or on-theme domain or just something that is very easy to brand. But until the day comes when you are so rich and so bored as to seek out unnecessary challenges (i.e. NEVER) stick with the best domain name that you can get... just like Griz and Tel taught you.
Bonusdays = Secret Squirrel 8)
(ha! the cloak remains)
Bonusdays

Re: WHY your domain choice is crucial...

Postby cherie2710 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:14 pm

It is good to get domain name that is related to your business.
You can get a nice ranking when your website is established.
Cherie Ang

cherie2710

Return to General Business