[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Honest Way Forum • View topic - EPN Changes

EPN Changes

Discuss affiliate marketing strategies and products. If you want answers to your affiliate marketing questions, this is the place to post them and find them. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

EPN Changes

Postby DavidO » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:15 pm

Found this in the keyword academy forum... it's from the EPN forum...

This from the epn bulliten board a moderator...

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your questions and posts on the terms and conditions. Although we’ll try to post a few more detailed responses early next week, we wanted to post a few answers to some of the questions that have come up that we hope will give you some insight into the approach we’re taking here.

There were a number of questions on the “Third party re-directs for the sole purpose of masking a referring URL” no longer being allowed.

The objective of this change is to make sure that we have as much insight as possible into the sources of our traffic. We still want our affiliates to use services that allow them to do things like track their traffic and optimize for SEO, but we also require that you give us insight into the actual pages from which your traffic is originating. This means that if you use a system that re-directs clicks, it must be able to show us the URL from which the traffic originally came.

Another set of posts has asked questions about the clause that says "Affiliate links on third party sites such as Craigslist, MySpace, etc. are not allowed." One question was “does this mean ‘direct to eBay’ Rover links, or does it mean I can't place links on my MySpace page that go to MY personal site that has eBay affiliate links on it?”

We’ve tried to make it clear that we’re talking about “direct to eBay” links (or any automated redirects to eBay). You’re allowed to link to your own site that has eBay affiliate links as long as it’s within the TOS of the 3rd party site.

A related question was: “Can we use affiliate links on third party sites like Blogger, Twitter, Wordpress, Tumblr, Squidoo or article sites where we "own" the IP of the content but not the actual site?”

For blogging platforms like Wordpress, we’re requiring that publishers use the download-and-install versions of the products so that they have full ownership of their sites. For other promotional methods such as Twitter, etc, it is ok for your links to lead to your own websites that have links to eBay, but not to lead to eBay directly.

Some folks asked about the clause dealing with trademarks: “…our partners may not use promotional methods that violate intellectual property or proprietary rights of third party trademarks. This includes, but is not limited to, using a third party trademark (or a term confusingly similar to it) in your URLs."

I think there was some good discussion already on this thread about this. In general here we want everybody to make sure they are abiding by the intellectual property rights of third parties. If we run into issues with a particular affiliate, for some of these we’ll have to evaluate on a case-by-case basis as they occur and decide what best course of action is.

Will affiliates be punished for overlooked or un-editable historic links that now break the new rules? Is 1st August going to be enough time to get this all done?

We’re going to be practical in enforcing these policies as they go into effect. If there is a reasonably small portion (and diminishing) of clicks coming in from an archived campaign where the links were obviously built before the changes, we’ll deal with them appropriately. If a publisher has the bulk of their traffic coming from links that break the new rules that were implemented right before August 1st, that’s a different story…

Again, we’ll be back with a few more detailed responses early next week. Hope this helps in the meantime.

Have a good weekend,

Will
DavidO

Re: EPN Changes

Postby DavidO » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:21 pm

It sounds like you can't have direct-to-ebay links on bloggers, hubpages, WPmus, squidoos, anything you don't "own" even if you own the content. Not sure the implications of the BS WPMUs. Tel's in the clear though. :lol:

I sure hope this isn't true.

There are also some changes on trademarks in URLs that has me worried too. Until today I've been more worried about the manufacturer taking my site. Never did I think EPN would stab me in the back after sending them loads of high quality traffic. :-? :-(
Last edited by DavidO on Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidO

Postby dinheiro » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:23 pm

That's a bit confusing, how do they deal with the ebay RSS feeds that many use on squidoo?
|
dinheiro

Postby James » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:08 pm

I'm not using eBay, but these new changes will make big damage to a lot of people. I can't figure out why would eBay mind traffic from Blogger, Wordpress, Blinkweb... A visitor who buys stuff is a good visitor, who cares where he comes from?

Unless this is just a move to cover a big scheme - cutting the middlemen as much as possible. Me thinks eBay believes it is now strong enough and well known across the globe so he doesn't need to be promoted by the thousands of small Internet Marketers.
James

Postby korprit » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:20 pm

if it weren't for the fact that ebay was riding the bankruptcy line...i'd swear they want to scare away all their affiliates. i honestly think they just want to own all the affiliate income themselves so they can help their balance sheets
korprit

Postby dinheiro » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:07 pm

I must agree with you all. It seems they really want to kill all affiliates. I'm thinking in guys like Frank, or Splork, that use lots and lots of Blogger Blogs with ebay ads. They'll have to remove everything...my god, it's almost unbelievable. Ebay wants to destroy affiliates, or it is in the quest of retaining only a few big affiliates and get ride of the rest.
|
dinheiro

Postby Tel » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:48 pm

Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby daddyO » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:47 pm

I agree, eBay is becoming a bunch of dicks. They seem to make one asinine decision after another. I only get a small bit of my income from them, so I don't really care too much. Fortunately, there are alternatives. Depending on what your selling, you may be able to use places like Amazon.
daddyO

Postby Brawnydt » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:58 pm

It sounds like they are really trying to clean house with their program. There's still tons of money to be made with eBay, I really find it pays out 10:1 over adsense. I just hope they don't change too much more...

Again, that's why it's wise not to have all our eggs in one basket. Hopefully my adsense revenue will catch up soon to make it a viable second stream of income so I can actually live by those words!

Overstock has a 30 day cookie on their aff program I believe. It might be worth looking into. I'm also thinking I'll go with Amazon and use PHPZon or ReviewZON to populate some sites.
Brawnydt

Return to Affiliate Marketing