[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Honest Way Forum • View topic - Epic Niches: Worth Trying?

Epic Niches: Worth Trying?

Here is the place to discuss the best and worst methods of promoting your online business. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Epic Niches: Worth Trying?

Postby MasterOfNone » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:32 am

So, I've been trying to follow Griz's lead and "throw crap until something sticks," and I've found something pretty decent. However, the first SERPs page for the main keyword I would be targeting are dominated with high age, high PR sites (nothing below PR4). However, the long tails are worth a lot in themselves, and the big sites are not on page optimized (for the most part) for my exact keyword (that is, not in title tag, not in URL). Also, no one site gets sitelinks for the term. I'm currently targeting this with a Blogger blog. Inspired by Griz, I'm thinking of putting in the work to take this to beyond the farm stage and into the big games. Is this kind of thing worth my time? How do you guys normally judge how far to take your niches?
MasterOfNone

Re: Epic Niches: Worth Trying?

Postby DeMerchant » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:34 am

I would start with a long tail and keep shortening it... that's what I'd do

Get Links With , , , , and
DeMerchant

Postby MasterOfNone » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:11 am

MasterOfNone

Postby DeMerchant » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:55 am

My approach in the past when I've done this is to start with my big keyword and work my way down... start from the bottom with a few longtails and work your way up refining further and further towards your ultimate goal...

For Example

Cell phones
Cell phone plans
cell phone carriers
cell phone chargers
cell phone long distance plans
cell phone texting plans
US cell phone carriers
European cell phone carriers
Motorola cell phone chargers
Bell cell phone chargers
cheap cell phone long distance plans
best cell phone long distance plans
cheap cell phone texting plans

so on and so on... with each longtail you start to dominate the next gets easier and easier

Get Links With , , , , and
DeMerchant

Postby aprilk » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:22 am

Make sure you include lots of "buying" keywords such as cheap, affordable and low cost. These are words that normally people don't optimize for. It's not just products you can do this for but also services. Also target local niches. A good example of a buying KW would be something like "Low Cost Health Insurance For Students in Chicago Illinois." It doesn't matter that it doesn't appear in any kw tools, the fact is that there is no competition and you will dominate the SERPS no probs at all. Gradually you will start to rank for shorter KWs contained within that stupid long tail.
April
aprilk

Postby MaxGwiji » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:43 am

I've been doing Court's Sniper approach as well, building up a network of farm blogs behind each one that I will then combine later to target harder keywords.

I'm not just optimising the homepage for all my keywords I'm targeting but I'm also having my blog's posts optimised for related but lateral keywords. In fact, my plan is to keep growing my sniper sites' keywords by adding more posts and backlinks indefinitely to the point where my site's posts are only semi-related to the original keyword. In other words, I'll branch out my sniper sites into other (semi-related) niches using the authority that I have built up for the website itself.

I saw this idea in Grizz's recent comments on his make money site where he talks about multi-niche websites. This way it will lessen the need to keep adding a new sniper site everytime I find a new keyword to target.

I will then use the farm blogs behind each of the sniper sites to target harder keywords like "cell phones" on other, non-sniper sites using the method DeMerchant outlined below. This way I'll have a combination of sniper sites targeting lots of low-competition keywords and Grizz type sites targeting more competitive ones.

Thats the plan, anyway... :)

This is what Grizz said:

"Frank,

Google loves authority sites as you and, I suspect, Fiar both know by now. After watching you two I started multi-niching (new word?) one of my formerly laser targeted sites and can't believe the amount of semi-related terms I get top billing for. Links or no links - the big G just pushes the posts up the first page of the serp's. Some get bumped off after a few days and I find I just need a couple of decent links to bring them back.

The original niche did fine but was limited in terms of useful keywords - now the sky is the limit. I wouldn't have thought of it if I hadn't seen what you were doing, so a belated thanks!"
MaxGwiji

Return to Promotion and Marketing