[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Honest Way Forum • View topic - A Technical/Monetary Query about Page 1 Google

A Technical/Monetary Query about Page 1 Google

Here is the place to discuss the best and worst methods of promoting your online business. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

A Technical/Monetary Query about Page 1 Google

Postby advaita » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:27 pm

I've got a blog about a product for which I am targetting certain keywords - thi sproduct as very popular in 2008 and should be even more popular in 2009

At the moment
if I google "keyword1 keyword2 keyword3" Google comes up with 51,000 results and I am on page 2 position 2

of I "keyword1 keyword2 keyword3 keyword4" Google comes up with 30,000 results and I am on page 2 position 3

however, I get very few visitors If I get onto page 1 am I likely to see a dramatic increase in visitors ? And any idea of numbers ?
advaita

Re: A Technical/Monetary Query about Page 1 Google

Postby gabbyjay268 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:15 pm

It all depends on how much traffic actually searches for the term. You can check that out by using Google's free Adwords Keyword tool found here:

No keyword tool is 100% accurate, but you should get a decent understanding of the traffic available for your keyword if you get to position 1. But once you are at position 1 you don't need a keyword tool to tell you how much traffic there is.
gabbyjay268

Postby advaita » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:56 am

Thanks for that, I have used the keyword too, and for the three keywords together there are around 1 - 2000 average search volume, it goes up a lot if you only use two keywords - but I guess what I'm really trying to find out is is there a dramatic increase between being on page 2 and being on page 1
advaita

Postby Tel » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:17 am

Yes there is.

Position 1 on page one gets the vast majority of all the traffic, then it filters down to the next few places. After position 5, traffic drops off considerably. Page two, sorry to say is nowhere in terms of traffic.

If you are in a high traffic niche (100k+ pm) you will get some traffic on page two, but a low traffic niche (2k or less pm) might get you a few visitors per week! It all depends on the niche.
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby advaita » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:16 pm

Thanks for that Tel, that's what I was wondering.

My "kw1 kw 2 kw3" is now number 8 on page 1 - according to keyword tool it gets 2400 search volume a month (broad) and 720 (exact) - so not a lot, which may explain why although it is on page 1 so far I'm not getting many visitors

For the plural form of "kw1 kw2 kw3" I am no. 1 on page 1 ! - but still no visitors as that only gets 91 for search volume

I think the big difference would be to be on page 1 for just the "kw2 kw3" as that gets 110k (broad) and (43k exact) - but there are 2 million Google results

Is there are a quick way I can see which page I am on ? I have looked through the first 30 pages and I'm not there but I suspect I am doing something wrong and there is some stuff that wil tell me exactly where I am.

Also I expect things to change a bit on Monday as there should be an announcement concerning this particular keyword.
VicW
advaita

Postby Tel » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:26 pm

One way of checking quicker is to set the advanced search to 100 results per page then use the "Find" feature in your browser to search for your site.

Also, with the search set to 100, you'll see a strange phenomenon - its something I've talked about before in this forum. If you click on page 10, you'll suddenly see your 2 million results cut down to several hundred (or less) which is the exact number of competing pages. Try it and you'll see for yourself!

Very few niches have more than 1000 relevant pages, most have 500-700, even some of the larger niches. So you're not really up against as many sites as you first thought. :mrgreen:
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby advaita » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:17 pm

Cool - it turns out I'm on page 6 of 6 - so I guess that's around page 60 in decimal money !

Like you said - the results dropped to 790,000 - still quite a lot though, but it will be interesting to see if I can move up through the ranks, Thanks for the tip!
advaita

Postby lissie » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:03 am

Iuse SEO Elite for checking my ranking - it runs automatically overnigth while I sleep - but its not free!
Lis
and Controversy!
lissie

Postby advaita » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:50 pm

Can I pick your collective brains again ?

I've got a digital photography site but I'm finding that some of my posts are being indexed but others are not. Is this normal ? Is this the sandbox effect again? Am I getting selectively de-index because I'm using too many keywords? Any suggestions would be much appreciated
advaita

Postby korprit » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:02 pm

i dont think there is such a thing as selective deindex. either your site is acceptable or it isn't. subdomains being the exception?

some pages index faster than others, from my understanding, and others can (please do) correct me if i am wrong, spiders are set to index only so far and that is why a sitemap is so important. throw up a site map and if your whole site isn't index after a bit then i'd be concerned/curious.
korprit

Postby Tel » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:30 pm

I concur - an xml sitemap is important especially on a big site.

You mentioned overdoing keywords?

I can tell you that if you exceed 5% density on a page you risk getting a slap from Google - I've notice this happen on a number of my own sites (ok, I still do it occasionally) and when I go in and edit the page to reduce the total to just below 5%, my site comes back in a few days. Sometimes having tags show in the sidebar of a blog can trigger an over keyword stuffed page as see in the bots' cyber-eyes.
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby advaita » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:39 pm

I've been doing some research and the site is still indexed - but I still find Google very weird.

Blog pages I had which were on page 35 etc... have disappeared altogether from Gogole's results for example in one of my posts I mentioned "pink digital cameras" (very popular apparently) and that page used to show up if I googled "pink digital cameras" but now it is nowhere to be seen in the listings, however if I google "Pink Digital Camera Canon SG1100" there it is all by itself on page 1 -

so I thought maybe I had too many keywords and Google was selectively whacking me but if you gogole "pink digital camera", one of the sites that Google finds as displaying "quality content" is this - pinkdigitalcamerakidjhb.blogspot.com - a one page blog of nonsense with pink digital camera kid written 11 times - e.g. "Now we shall have some discussion, pink digital camera kid we'll see to that. pink digital camera kid fowls clucked and strutted in the stables" dating back to 2007

I have checked a number of my blog pages and it appears that they are still indexed just not visible on the first 200 pages !

I guess pink digital camera kid still there because he kept below the 5% limit.

I'll do some keyword tweaking and see what happens.

Thanks for the info. about the 5% and the sitemap I'll try and get one up if I can figure it out.
advaita

Postby aprilk » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:05 pm

There is a thing called the supplemental index. I suggest you google it to understand it. Basically, if you don't have enough PR for a page it goes into the supplemental index meaning you won't get any traffic except for the longest of the long tails. To solve this problem all you need to do is ensure you have links pointing to every page in your blog. Also some internal linking will help with the flow of PR.
April
aprilk

Return to Promotion and Marketing