[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Honest Way Forum • View topic - How difficult to dethrone an authority listing

How difficult to dethrone an authority listing

Here is the place to discuss the best and worst methods of promoting your online business. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

How difficult to dethrone an authority listing

Postby xxecxx » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:31 pm

hi
trying out court's sniping tutorial for the first time, so please help if you have similar experience ;-) ;-)

i am not too sure if "authority listing" is the proper term...you know that BIG no. 1 google listing that comes with multiple links to inner pages of that site...some keyword searches have these "authority listing" while others do not have them yet

for this particular two-worded keyword i wanted to "snipe",
google search without "" shows 400,000+ listings
no.1 google listing is "keywordGUIDE.com" and has that "authority" status, lets call this number1.com

number1.com is a MFA site, 20 articles slapped onto it running nicely blended and well targeted adsense units
number1.com is registered in 2007
number1.com is currently at PR1

no.2 - 10 ranges PR 0 - 3
no 2 is an amazon listing, no 3 - 10 are some yucky looking ecommerce sites as well as very nice looking legitimate brand sites..not sure why they are all below that MFA... because they have many pictures, flash, catalogs but not much words?

for number1.com
google site: shows 21 pages
google link: shows 0 links

yahoo linkdomain: shows 83 links - 5 ezinearticles.com, 10+ blogspot/wordpress.com supports, and other misc

[key word] CPC is $3+
expected earnings are modest, though i am already involved in another 4 related niches...i wanted to add more variety into the mix because i really hate linking hubpage/dogtraining -> doggietrainers.blogspot -> edogtrainers.com ...u get the idea

would this be an easy target to go after? :?: :?: :?: any ideas to do so?
xxecxx

Re: How difficult to dethrone an authority listing

Postby mattm » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:10 pm

This sounds like a reasonably easy keyword to go after. The hardest part will be overcoming age issues and just building more links than the MFA site. If you are patient, I wouldn't be surprised if you got to top 3 within a year. I have one sniper site that is little more competitive than the one you mentioned and it just cracked the first page after about a year.
mattm

Postby TrentBrownrigg » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:32 pm

It all depends on the authority site you are trying to dethrone. Some have a LOT more authority than others. However, from what you have stated, it doesn't look like that one will be too difficult to beat out.
* No links here... Search my name if you want to find me!
TrentBrownrigg

Postby BenK » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:47 pm

Yea, it doesn't look too bad, at least from the stats you gave.

83 links is nothing at all...unless we are talking a lot of PR 5/4/3 backlinks using proper anchor text. If that's the case, you would face a challange. But with a PR 1 ranking, I highly doubt the site has very many high PR backlinks, otherwise the PR would be higher.

Most of my blogs are targetting niches that have 800-3k backlinks.

I have a flagship blog with strong authority status for a keyword (one of the ways I've found to verify this, is that your site shows up as #1 for the keyword with a submenu visible from google). I've been able to leverage this authority to now rank for #2 for a shorter (two word generic) keyword now...a word that gets 300k searches (broad search, according to G keyword tool) a month. It's taken me over 13k backlinks to do it. #1 has a domain that's 10 years old and 18k backlinks, so it might be a while before I take the spot. That site has a lot of authority, but as i haven't seen the submenu yet, I stand a good chance of knocking it out in a few months.

Recommended Backlink Networks/programs: [] [] [] []
BenK

Return to Promotion and Marketing