[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Honest Way Forum • View topic - Different SERP ranking while logged in a google account

Different SERP ranking while logged in a google account

Here is the place to discuss the best and worst methods of promoting your online business. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Different SERP ranking while logged in a google account

Postby m98075 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:56 pm

So today I was checking my site'd SERP for the keyword I am targeting it for. It has been #1 in google.com for the keyword for the past 2-3 months (with steady traffic). Anyways for some reason it dropped to #22 overnight for google.com (with decreased traffic). While checking my ranking again manually entering it on google.com directly I noticed that it shows #22 when I am logged out of google accounts (blogger/gmail etc) but #1 if I am logged into my gmail account and searching for the same keyword (in google.com). I checked this multiple times with the same result. I have never read about this or come across this scenario before. Has anyone else experienced the same thing. My guess is that google keeps a track of your interests and somehow shows the sites you might be interested in higher than others??
Anyone willing to shed some light on this.
m98075

Re: Different SERP ranking while logged in a google account

Postby Brawnydt » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:13 pm

You got it in one. It's called personalized search. You can opt out of it for your gmail account, or you can just sign out when you do your rank checking. I've made that mistake more times than I'm willing to admit. :)
Brawnydt

Postby m98075 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:27 pm

Thanks.
That makes sense. Will do that.. Now to get the site back up to #1.
m98075

Postby lissie » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:19 am

even when I am using the "unpersonalised" google search I am still suspicious - I use scroogle.org - a scarper you can be sure you have the real results then
Lis
and Controversy!
lissie

Postby Brawnydt » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:05 pm

"Google Global" firefox extension is an amazingly cool little addon that will de personalize Google for you and quickly let you search other countries to see where you rank in their data centers. I use it all the time.
Brawnydt

Return to Promotion and Marketing