[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Honest Way Forum • View topic - Pushing Your Squidoo Lens Up The Ranking Ladder

Pushing Your Squidoo Lens Up The Ranking Ladder

Here is the place to discuss the best and worst methods of promoting your online business. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Pushing Your Squidoo Lens Up The Ranking Ladder

Postby Tel » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:35 pm

Well... I don't think its a big secret, its just that most lensmasters don't practice what the teachers preach! Getting a decent rank within Squidoo is not too difficult if you have some time to throw at it.

I've been amazed at the recent rise in the rankings of all my lenses - a week ago I couldn't get any of them lower than 13,000 and now they are ALL below 10,000 - with one or two regularly in the 2,000s. One day last week my Honest Way lens made it into the top 100 of the Marketing and SEO category - #97! Now that was impressive, knowing how cut-throat that particular niche is.

So how did I do it?

It's not really much different to getting a good Page Rank with the Search Engines - only easier.

I followed some good advice and here's what I did:

1. Content is king in Squidoo too. I simply got very busy and wrote a lot of good, relevant content for each lens. Break the articles up into smaller chunks. I had to as you only get 2500 characters per text module!

2. Update that content often. Well, not always easy to do, but as long as something changes daily or every other day, the ranking will stay high - remember to publish after every update even if its an update to edit the odd typo - it still counts as a change to the content!

3. Add some money making tabs - I don't like them as they make the lens look like a page full of ads, but adding one or two is ok - I used Amazon and one of the book superstores and Cafe Press in another, just so squidoo can see you're trying to boost the lens' monetisation (is that a word?).

4. Add a YouTube or two. Adds interest to the lens.

5. Add some pictures (makes it look more appealing)

6. Add an RSS feed from your blog and set it to update hourly. Then every time you update your blog, publish the lens too - it will register the change in content!

7. "Unmax" the lens - it displays better without so many ads.

8. Create more than one lens. My way was to have a main lens (Like Alt-Cures) and have several satellite lenses that link back to the main lens using a "Featured Lens" module.

9. Add a guestbook. Most important to get feedback and to see who's been to visit.

10. Last but not least - use good, relevant tags (keywords). I think you can add over 40 of them in total, enough for even the spammers! make them count.

That's about as much as I did with my lenses. Then promoting them comes next...

1. Go to CYN forum and join Clive Anderson's thread "Do You Squidoo?" and get some real visits and feedback and star ratings. I got rated by Clive himself and he was very impressed with the quality of my lenses. Jennifer (PotPieGirl) also rated them highly. That goes a long way with credibility when not just one by two of the top Lensmasters gives you the thumbs up.

2. Whydowrok also has a thread started by Trent - not as well patronised but if we keep it going it will. Steven has commented on my guestbook on the Honest Way lens.

3. Tag each lens with social networking sites like del.icio.us and stumbleupon. I know there's more but I haven't gotten around to using them yet. I think technorati already have lenses covered - not sure. One of my lenses (greentealeaves) had 6 referrals from stumbleupon in its first day, so it does work!

4. Blog about your lenses with links to each of them. I got some referrals from my blogs too, especially as I ping them with the update - twice the exposure!

5. Email your lenses to friends - ok, I haven't tried this one yet as don't think my friends would appreciate me spamming my business to them by email. But it might be worth it to your list. I'll look into that...

6. Talk about your lenses in forums...

There is probably a dozen more ways of promoting your lenses - just as many if not more than for promoting your website(s).

Just remember to have back links to your website(s) from your lenses as despite the recent squidoo-slap, google will settle down soon - one hopes it won't want to cut off its proverbial nose to spite its proverbial face!

Um...

This should be an article on my site, not a post in my forum! :?
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby Oosha » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:47 pm

Kudos Terry!

All your posts are articles in themselves. This is no exception.

The is the most informative article I have read on Squidoo lenses. I created a subfolder in my 'squidoo' folder and called it 'Terry's Tips".

One question, how about writing articles for directories with your squidoo lens in the signature. Does that work?

Thank you for the great information.

Usha

Oosha

Postby Tel » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:01 pm

I would imagine so, as the whole idea is to get readers to click your link and visit your site/lens/blog.

Maybe it's because websites have more invested in them in terms of money (for domain purchase, hosting etc) and time (for setting up, building and populating) and they carry more credibility in terms or professionalism that articles published to directories carry links back to websites and not blogs or lenses.

Unless you don't have a website and then your lens or blog is your only focus for your online business - then you would link to that.

For me, all other forms of exposure (lenses, blogs, article directories, forums etc) should create interest with visitors, who will want to gravitate inward to the main focus, which is the website. Lenses and blogs can still make money with their own ads while at the same time they are exposing visitors to the website link - which is where I want them to ultimately end up - so they can see the focus of my business and hopefully want to buy something they see here. 8)
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Return to Promotion and Marketing