[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Honest Way Forum • View topic - Keywords: Make Money vs Make Money Online

Keywords: Make Money vs Make Money Online

Here is the place to discuss the best and worst methods of promoting your online business. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Keywords: Make Money vs Make Money Online

Postby Tel » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:19 pm

Keywords. We're obsessed with 'em! Especially those cute ones with long furry tails.

But more obsessed with ones that will make money for us. Well here's a small white lie type of myth that I'm going to blow out of the water for the small band of loyal members of this forum!

The "make money" keyword vs the "make money online" keyword.

The gurus would all have us believe that it simply isn't worth trying to compete with the former, as there are 46,200,000 sites displayed when you search Google for that one. Keyword search tools tell us that there are 105016 monthly searches on that term, so anyone trying to come in off the ground will be swamped. Fair enough.

But then that same keyword search turned up a nice little earner with "make money online". For the 44151 monthly searches, you'll only have to go head to head with a paltry 2,140,000 sites listed on Google.

No contest. Or is there?

Forget the guru's and their double-talk. Forget what Google says. Well, don't believe all you read there, at least not at first glance.

I was shown a neat trick you can pull with Google a few months ago and only just thought to test it out on these two keywords. What I saw nearly made my jaw hit the floor!

The trick is to open the "advanced search" panel in Google and type in your exact keywords. Then move to the small panel that sets the number of displays per page. It is set to 10 by default but you should set it to 100. Then hit SEARCH.

Ok This is the trick. Go to the bottom of the first page and where you see the list of pages 1,2,3,4... etc, click on page 10.

REVELATION TIME PEOPLE!

For either keyword, you'd expect to be taken to page 10,000 but you are not! Oh no. At the bottom of the page you'll see a message that says:

"In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the ... already displayed."

For the keyword "make money", that number is 895

For the keyword "make money online", that number is 843

Oh, dear!

Well, personally, I'd prefer to take my chances with the 105,000 monthly searches for 895 sites over the measly 44,000 monthly searches for the 843 sites.

Aren't you glad you are a member of my HONEST and full disclosure forum? Who else would tell you that for free... 8)
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby Oosha » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:36 am

Terry,

You are at it again! Aren't you going to keep anything to yourself? :o

You did mention this long back Terry, I just forget where. That's what I have been following since then for all my research.

Those so called Gurus think they are smart and can keep competition away by not exposing their 'secrets' or rather by leading people the wrong way.

Not anymore! Not with Terry around :)

Great discovery Terry!

Oosha

Postby tam2005 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:42 pm

Tammy

tam2005

Postby magnetize » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:46 am

magnetize

Postby dgodot » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:39 pm

Heeeeyy...

That's a great tip! I think you just changed the way I evaluate keywords :)

In fact, I bet there are plenty of keywords out there that most marketeers are avoiding because of the seemingly huge amount of competition that in fact have relatively few competitors. It might even be more desirable to find niches that have a high apparent to actual competition ratio...
dgodot

Postby trentster » Sat May 03, 2008 2:48 pm

| |
trentster

Re: Keywords: Make Money vs Make Money Online

Postby writer-ros » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:37 am

I'm not sure I understand this.

Doesn't it just mean that Google have ommitted several million other websites - but that you are still competing with them?

I'm new to this forum, and I don't mind if you correct me for being wrong - but that's what it looks like to me, or am I missing something?

Ros
Ros Bott

Feeling stressed?
writer-ros

Postby Tel » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:07 pm

What it means is that Google show you how many relevant pages there are fo rthe keyword you entered. The vast majority are not considered relevant enough to be shown, so what you get when you search this way is see only the true number of competing sites.

What's more, I think there is an inflated assumption on just how many Internet Marketers there are out there that are in competition with you. Probably 95% of them are wasting their time competing for the Make Money niches (which is why so many pages show up). In all there are probably only several hundred serious marketers that you need to go up against, which is still way too many.

What most of them don't do is go looking for the real places to be making money, which are in the less competitive niches. Remember its no use trying to sell a clickbank product to another marketer who probably has their own account and can buy it with their own affiliate id and keep the commission for themselves. Equally, most marketers know what adsense and lead generation ads look like and tend not to click them. So "Make Money" and all its long tail variants are very hard to actually make money in! So why go to all that trouble and effort scrabbling for a few scraps when the real money is in the many other niches.

The trick is to find these niches - but they're there... and in their thousands!
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby David Hurley » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:41 pm

Ros,

A lot of the sites that Google omits are probably full of duplicate content, so if you write relevant and original stuff your site will appear among the 895 or whatever that Google lists.

When I first started targeting keywords I would only go for ones with fewer than 5,000 sites to compete against... turns out that most of them have fewer than 5,000 sites to compete against! :lol:
==> !

==>
David Hurley

Postby hwould » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:17 pm

Wow, I almost fell out of my chair when I read this post. I paid $15.00 for that tip you shared right there on Digital Point in April of this year. The ironic part is, if I hadn't, I never would have heard of Grizz, or Court, nor would I be a member of this great forum.

The seller had a nice little ebook about this secret and who to study for SEO. So am I mad I paid the $15.00, of course not, but the irony of this all coming full circle gives me the willies!
hwould

Postby cherie2710 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:52 am

Interesting post.
Cherie Ang

cherie2710

Postby Diane Sontag » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:30 am

Sorry, but I am confused as to the importance of knowing this. If we beat out number one and take over that position in the serps, it doesn't matter how many competing sites there were. You take over number one because you got more anchored links than the top dog, regardless of how many thousand websites are below that.

Or did I miss the point altogether?
Diane's flagship blog is
Diane Sontag

Postby Tel » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:14 pm

Its ok, the point is that this information is useful when you are searching out new niches to see how much competition you are up against. It is also an indicator of how long it may take to rise up through these sites, as Google doesn't count all links straight away and in some niches, especially in those with more competing sites, it counts them slower than in others.

You may be able to get more links than anyone else in a niche, but that still doesn't guarantee you No1 spot until Google decides to count them all. And that can take a long time...
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby daniel » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:38 pm

This was a brilliant post, Terry. Just tried it myself now.

make money:
In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 837 already displayed.

make money online:
In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 819 already displayed.

Brilliant.
daniel

Return to Promotion and Marketing