[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Honest Way Forum • View topic - Hub Pages or Squidoo?

Hub Pages or Squidoo?

Here is the place to discuss the best and worst methods of promoting your online business. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Hub Pages or Squidoo?

Postby nicola » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:50 pm

Just a quickie to those that have used them - what's better? Hub Pages or Squidoo? Which one's working the best for you?
nicola

Re: Hub Pages or Squidoo?

Postby Tel » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:59 pm

They both have their merits and disadvantages.

Squidoo is better for generating links to your main sites as they have a do-follow policy.

Hub pages need to be worked on more in order to get your author score above 75 before any links are treated as do-follow. However you must be careful linking out from hub pages as they are more paranoid about spammers and if they see links they don't like the look of your hub page may be flagged and unpublished.

Generally, hub pages get indexed quickest - I've seen new ones indexed within an hour in Googles SERPS!

Squidoo have been dogged by spammers and so have lost favour with Google, wheras Hubs are still loved!

Squidoo lenses are in my opinion easier to set up and monetise than hubs, although neither are much good as money generation sites as they convert horribly thanks to their own ads dominating your pages.

Either can be worked on and gain PR and keyword authority for providing more link juice to money making niche websites/blogs.

Hope that helps! :-D
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby nicola » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:31 pm

Thanks Terry. I guess if I'm looking at it from a links point of view Hub Pages are better (or I could just get off my lazy butt and use both!)
nicola

Postby Tel » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:01 am

Ha! When all is said and done, a link is still a link no matter where it comes from!

Hubs tend to index faster but I think the link juice from either is the same depending upon how well you promote them. I've got Squidoo lenses that are PR3 and have lots of authority purely through age and backlinks I got for them over time. My hubs are much newer and have less authority, but it'll all balance out over more time, say another 6 months to a year or so.

Getting links and building up a good collection of authority sites/blogs/pages etc takes a lot of time, so don't worry too much about seeing fast results - I believe slow and steady is better in the long run.
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby lissie » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:23 am

Hmm perhaps I should write a hub?
Hubpages advantages :
google love, fast indexing, lots of backlinks from their site structure maybe its just me but google hates my lenses
takes over a month to index lenses on the same kw as hubpages which indexed pretty instantly
do-follow: easy to get Iset a new ID who published 1 hub which got 2 comments The hub was 500 words (their unofficial minimum BTW) - it took 4 weeks for the hubber score to drop below 75 - no-follow: its time he published another hub!
revenue share: hubpages uses your actual adsense ID this may be good or bad for you - depending on whether u are worried that u will get smart priced on Hubpages - at least it means u can easily track your earnings - squidoo seems to have a completely black box revenue sharing model - which probably favours the mass traffic lenses so not good if u are targetting long tails oh ditto for eBay and Amazon too
profile page on Hubpages - is great for backlinks: you can put as many links as you like there and it gets a good PR after a few months Ive found nothing similar on squidoo
Lis
and Controversy!
lissie

Postby Tel » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:41 am

Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby jackmoney » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:40 pm

well....if a link is a link is a link....i find that squidoo pages are much easier to build. additionally, it's not too too difficult to get your lenses in the money on their payout structure....whereas with hubpages, you really gotta make a lot of people come to your site before you see any money.

just my 2 cents.

oh, and if you're interested in how squidoo works..here's my payout structure lens :)

http://www.squidoo.com/payoutstructure
jackmoney

Postby nicola » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:28 pm

Okay, I've signed up with Hub Pages and have become a fan of lissie & Tel and am already an author score 5! Is there anyone else I can become a fan of? I want to see that score go higher!

Lissie - that was a great hub on how Hub Pages works, it told me everything I needed to know
nicola

Postby lissie » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:34 pm

LOL thanks Nicola: I hope you thumbs up that article :that helps! The best way to raise your score: is write a hub! Or 2 . Commenting on others and in the forums helps too! It will take a day or 2 but your score should stablise in the high 70's even with just one hub!
Lis
and Controversy!
lissie

Postby nicola » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:38 pm

I didn't do that - I'm off to figure out how to thumbs up lissie (that sounds mildly obscene!)
nicola

Postby Tel » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:56 pm

Nicola, I just added myself to both you and Lissie's fanclubs. Should have done it sooner, but as ever there are never enough hours in the day :roll:
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby MsLulu » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:43 pm

Ok, hopefully I will get my first hub up by tonight - then I shall go and do my "thumbs up" round. I hope you accept me as a friend - I just read Terry's hub and this line had me worried ;-)

"Designer sunglasses are truly must have items if you want to be taken seriously by the crowd you move in and the poeple that you deal with."

Maybe that's why I am having problems.

I'm with you Terry - not enough hours. I've wasted the whole day on a dumb problem from linkshare, where my links either don't get counted, or just don't work.
Irene laughs at |
MsLulu

Postby Tel » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:42 am

Ha! I've all but given up on Linkshare - I think their reporting is even worse than CJ!

As for the sunglasses quote - I make up all that stuff as I go along just to populate the hubs with something that looks meaningful... so don't pay too much heed to it! :lol:
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Return to Promotion and Marketing