[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Honest Way Forum • View topic - Ranking And Anchored Links

Ranking And Anchored Links

Here is the place to discuss the best and worst methods of promoting your online business. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Ranking And Anchored Links

Postby James » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:27 pm

I have one issue with ranking for keywords and links I've been getting for my posts. This is just an example, but it explains the core of the problem:

Lets say I create post about "Nike running shoes" and get links with "Nike Running Shoes", "Running Shoes By Nike", "Nike And Cool Running Shoes" and "Nike Shoes For Running" in anchor. What happens next, I start to get traffic, but I get traffic for "Nike sneakers" and not for "Nike running shoes". I mentioned sneakers in the post 2 or 3 times, but post title doesn't mention them nor I used them in links. I check SERPs and I see I am number 4 for "Nike sneakers" and I am number 32 for "Nike running shoes". And "Nike sneakers" has more competition, 4 times more websites found in Google in comparison to "Nike running shoes".

Should I diversify anchor a bit more? If I overdid it with the links, would I even be on that 32 spot? This happened to me more then once, on several blogs, so I really need to solve this issue. The links that finally push me up the SE and bring traffic are social bookmarking links, if that is important in this case.
James

Re: Ranking And Anchored Links

Postby Grizzly » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:15 pm

Google knows that running shoes and sneakers are the same thing and will list a site using one term for the other term as well. You can be ranking better in one serp simply because you mentioned sneakers directly whereas the competition may not be mentioning it at all. In the case of "Nike Running Shoes" the competition has more and/or better links than you specifically using that anchored keyword.

How the query is worded by the visitor will effect your rankings - anybody asking for nike sneakers but not with the quotes " will be shown a list of sites that just mention both words and not necessarily together. Your site will outrank all others (if you used the term somewhere) that outrank you for "nike running shoes" because none of them mention sneakers at all.

Look at the serp's - the top pages are filled with sites that have the exact phrase of any query in the post or URL or blog title and the back pages are filled with sites that are relevant to the topic but don't use the terms in the post but do use terms that are similar in meaning. This is why long posts are so effective - you generate a lot of traffic from vaguely relevant queries that your site happens to rank really well for.
Grizzly
Site Admin

Postby James » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:49 pm

Thanks for reply Griz, I'm just glad I didn't overdo it with same anchored links.

I try to write long posts since you recommended it and I really catch some good traffic from that. It's unbelievable what you can do by writing a phrase two times in a post and bold it once :-D
James

Postby GT Bulmer » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:42 am

Hey, James and Griz:

I appreciate your discussion here. I'm still trying to figure out the right things to do
with anchor text and all that. Your discussion is direct and to the point and gives
me some more insight, ideas, inspiration and encouragement. Thanks!

GT :-)

GT Bulmer

Return to Promotion and Marketing