[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Honest Way Forum • View topic - Keyword Rankings and Backlinks

Keyword Rankings and Backlinks

Here is the place to discuss the best and worst methods of promoting your online business. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Keyword Rankings and Backlinks

Postby DavidO » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:25 pm

I'm trying to decide what keyword(s) to target for a new niche site I'm going to put up. Something I have never had properly explained to me is how exactly Google rates different keywords.

Let's say the niche is "chocolate chip cookies" and lets pretend there is a huge amount of searches and strong competition on the first page of google with targeted backlinks. let say there is also enough searches to support sites with different permutations of the keyword phrase.

If I targeted chocolate chip cookie (not plural) would the plural sites beat me? what about chocolatechip cookies or even chocolatechip cookie (assuming again those phrases were worth building a site around). I know chocolatechip isn't really a phrase someone would search for but let just pretend it is.

What about sites with multiple keywords in their backlinks like: "yummycookies.com | Chocolate chip cookie | chocolatechip cookies" What if they have a lot of backlinks just like that. Would I stand a chance of beating them with chocolate chip cookie or chocolatechip cookies?

Thanks,
David O
DavidO

Re: Keyword Rankings and Backlinks

Postby lissie » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:22 am

I dont know the answers - Ill be interested in other replies :what I have noticed is that if search for a blue smelly widget I often get results for blue smelly widgets - if there are not enough searches for the first time? I have also seen the single paying more on CPC than plural - so I am a bit confused as to how google deals with the additional "s"
Lis
and Controversy!
lissie

Postby DavidO » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:24 am

This is aside from the topic but I just wanted to say what a fantastic job you did on your hubpages Lissie. You can really tell that first and foremost you are passionate about your topics and not out to IM or make a buck.

Anywho I sure hope someone chimes in (Griz?).

Dave O
DavidO

Postby Grizzly » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:26 pm

Way to much over thinking going on here.

Google will index you for both plural and singular regardless of whether you used the "s" or not. When you write your posts just use both terms in the content and post titles if you are concerned. (I always use the plural and it gets me ranked for the singular as well)

If you build links for "chocolate chip cookie" and do a better job than anyone else you will rank well for both plural and singular but it wouldn't hurt to use both terms in your anchors. More to the point you should build links for a wide variety of anchors for a term like this because the real main keyword is "cookie" and "Chocolate Chip Cookie" is a long tail of the former.

I would use terms like "cookies with chocolate chips", "chocolate cookies", "chocolate chips", "chip cookies", and use Brand names as well along with "cookies" and "chocolate chip cookies". Take advantage of LSI for niches like this - stuff as many related terms as you can into your posts because you will be able to rank for a lot of long tails while moving up the serp's for your main keyword.
Grizzly
Site Admin

Postby DavidO » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:48 pm

DavidO

Return to Promotion and Marketing