[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Honest Way Forum • View topic - Comparison between .com and .blogspot.com

Comparison between .com and .blogspot.com

Here is the place to discuss the best and worst methods of promoting your online business. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Comparison between .com and .blogspot.com

Postby hch » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:30 am

Hi everyone!My first (and hopefully not the last) real post here (ignoring the "hello thread")
As always, I'm amazed by the wealth of information found here, not to mention the expertise of you people.

A few months ago (early march this year) I found griz's blog and followed his adsense tutorial. To say it briefly, I didn't have much success with it and sort of gave it up... :-?

...until about a week back, when I surprisingly received a mail in my letterbox containing my adsense PIN. Those blogs had cumulatively generated a tiny total of $10 in the past months, prompting the PIN. And thus, somewhat encouraged, here I am with my second wind, ready to try again (and hopefully succeed).

Anyway I digress, my question today is, just how different is a dot com domain from a blogspot subdomain? I've seen dot com domains get first page for modestly competitive terms with very little backlinks, while similar blogspot blogs struggle to achieve the same. How would I fare (assuming similar onpage and offpage SEO) between somecoolkeywords.blogspot.com versus somecoolkeywords.com ? Any difference in SERP rankings? Indexing time? Sandboxing?

Cause I'm wondering if it's worth it to toss in a measly 10 bucks and get a domain name in exchange for a quick index and fast ranking for the keywords I want.

Of course, I could be wrong and for all practical purposes there might be no difference.

Note: I'm not saying blogspot is useless, but I'd rather pay 10 bucks to get a domain and rank well with only 10 backlinks than to have a free blog and require 1000 links to achieve similar results.
hch

Re: Comparison between .com and .blogspot.com

Postby Tel » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:01 am

This post doesn't need to be in this forum, so I'm moving it to a more appropriate one.

As for your question, it doesn't really matter whether you have a free blogspot or self hosted domain. If you do the right amount of SEO, you can outrank any .com with a free blog. Just look at Griz's MMO blogger blog. Its an ugly free blog that sits on the top of Google's indexes for several keywords, not least of these for the keyword Make Money Online, where it beats nearly all the other so-called SEO experts by sitting on th first page for what is probably one of the most competitive keywords of them all!
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby hch » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:28 am

hch

Postby Tel » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:35 am

Sorry, no time for 20 mion replies right now!

The short answer is on site SEO is only a small proportion of all SEO. Most is off-site, aka links. Quality links at that.

And if two sites were competing for a keyword and one was a blogspot and the other a .com and everything else was totally equal the .com would win purely because it would have the more concentrated keyword in its name. ie yoursite.com vs yoursite.blogspot.com

I don't believe anyone except a Google employee would know for sure the ratios or any other definitive statistical info. Matt Cutts is probably the man with the answers and he writes on the Google blog, but don't expect him to publish everything he knows.
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby DavidO » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:32 am

Make your money sites self hosted .coms and your other sites the free hosts (wordpress.com, blogger.com, squidoo, hubpages etc.). That way your money sites will benefit from higher SERPS and then you always have the option of selling them. Also, except for gregarious spam on your self hosted site, there isn't a flag as spam button or moderators to wag their finger at you for questionable content.

Hostgator (and other hosting services, I'm sure) have hosting options where you can host unlimited top level domains (not sub domains) for the same price making it pretty affordable to have self hosted sites. I might make the transition this weekend with my sites.

Dave
DavidO

Postby hch » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:19 am

I think all this can be summed into a statement - Ultimately, is buying a domain worth it?

For examples, say griz makes $X a year from his MMO blog, which is makemoneyforbeginners.blogspot.com. If, by using a dot com (such as makemoneyforbeginners.com) he could increase his earnings to anything above $X+10, it would be worth it (though he'd probably stick to the blogspot as proof of theory to his readers). Apart from that, the dot com would possibly be indexed faster too, and have more headspace, less sandbox time...

This calls for some examples from you people... Based on your experiences, how much difference do you observe between your blogs on blogspot versus those with a domain?

P.S... You moved the post to this forum? I wonder if Griz comes to these parts of the forum...Seems quieter in here to say the least.

P.P.S... Thanks Dave for the insight, but I thought I'd get some opinions before I fork out the cash - you can never be too sure. ;-)
hch

Postby Tel » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:33 am

Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby bgmacaw » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:25 pm

I wrote an article on this topic a while back .

I didn't cover off-site SEO that much in it but, at the time, it appeared that a brand new Blogger blog tended to get a better placement out of the gate than a new self-hosted WordPress blog. I'm not sure if this is as true as it once was though.

The important thing is links. Read up on what Griz has to say about the quality and quantity of links.
Frank Carr from at OpTempo |
| |
bgmacaw

Postby hch » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:17 pm

hch

Return to Promotion and Marketing