[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Honest Way Forum • View topic - Mini-Sites or Big Sites?

Mini-Sites or Big Sites?

Here is the place to discuss the best and worst methods of promoting your online business. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Mini-Sites or Big Sites?

Postby nittany » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:30 pm

Grizz and Tel,

A question that has been on my mind a lot lately is whether it is better to build 10 sites with only 10 articles each or 1 site with 100+ articles. I have been creating a bunch of mini sites all focused around a particular niche. However, I am wondering what you think is better, should I keep creating more mini sites for the niche, or focus on a larger blog like http://makemoneyforbeginners.blogspot.com/? Please note that I am not focusing on the make money online niche.

I see several advantages of the numerous mini site approach.
- Many sites to link to other sites. I have basically created a natural link farm.
- I can attack specific keywords using Courtney's keyword sniper method.
- I can test out many topics.
- It is easy to get them to make at least $1 a day, often much more.

Despite these advantages, I also see huge disadvantages.

- The first disadvantage that I see is that I have to build links for many sites instead of just one site. It is much easier to build links for one site then 10 sites. Do you think it is easier to build links for one site rather than 10?
- While each site has some power to rank for the narrow keywords used in the mini-site, it is hard to expand on them later.

I am sure that a lot of other readers here would love to know your opinion on these issues.

Thanks for you help,
Fred
nittany

Re: Mini-Sites or Big Sites?

Postby Tel » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:01 pm

The simple answer is to build one big site and lots of smaller supporting sites that can all link to the big site.

Getting links is laborious work, so the more sites you have, the more links you need to get. But the end result will be lots of smaller sites with some authority all linking to a big money site that will get lots of authority.
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Re: Mini-Sites or Big Sites?

Postby aaronk » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:17 am

I like doing both. For my big blog, its something I'm interested in, there's news coming out all the time that I can blog about, and its something I'm proud of. It doesn't make as much money as I want, so thats why I'm making small sniper-like blogs for niches. Hopefully after a couple years between both ways I'll be making enough to quit my day job if I wish.

With a big blog, once you have lots of pages (100+) you really notice your authority picks up. I can post on certain topics related to my blog and I rank in the top 10 for those keywords within hours.

Small blogs are frustrating as far as getting links. There's no "one way" to do it, so its always a matter of experimenting, seeing what works, what doesn't, etc. But the results are shocking as far as the CTR's on Adsense I get on the niche blogs.
That in itself is enough motivation for me to keep at it with the niches, they will all add up someday.
aaronk

Return to Promotion and Marketing