[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Honest Way Forum • View topic - Social Networking

Social Networking

Here is the place to discuss the best and worst methods of promoting your online business. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Social Networking

Postby BFTUK » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:08 pm

Anyone here into social networking?

Stumbleupon.com, digg.com, reddit.com etc?
| | |
BFTUK

Postby Tel » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:06 pm

I've dabbled with del.icio.us and have tagged every page on my sites and blogs. I haven't spent much time tracking it to see how much traffic it brings in though - something for me to get on to when I have more time.

I know this site it getting plenty of hits - between 1,000 and 3,000 a day, but the sources are many and varied as I promote it all over the place in forums, message boards, yahoo answers, MyLot, traffic exchanges, as well as writing articles for ezine articles to create backlinks and the all important targeted visitors.

All promotion is free (except for my time), so I haven't felt the need to use paid advertising like adwords as yet.

I'm busy putting together another website, so that is taking a fair bit of my time - and once that is finished, I've got a few ideas for some more! Now I'm starting to drift off-topic!!

I've heard that other social networking sites like digg etc are all good (free) methods of site promotion, so I will look into them more.
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby daniboy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:13 pm

I think social bookmarks are a great idea. Just look at this snippet from yesterdays stats for one of my sites:

7: h**p://search.virginmedia.c*m/results/
7: h**p://search.mywebsearch.c*m/mywebsearch/AJmain.jhtml
7: h**p://www.yell.c*m/ucs/UcsSearchAction.do
6: h**p://search.virginmedia.c*m/results/index.php
6: h**p://uk.altavista.c*m/web/results
6: h**p://searchportal.information.c*m/
5: h**p://search.yahoo.c*m/search
5: h**p://del.icio.*s/********
(edited urls, don't want them all showing as links)

Notes: I paid £1480 to YELL for a national banner ad 2 months ago! And I do feel like yelling :x I've been using del.icio.us for about a week :D

Social bookmarking obviously has a place in my eyes.
~ ~
daniboy

Postby BFTUK » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:06 am

I've had over 3500 visits from Stumbleupon this month. and thats my first really attempt at it. :D

It does'nt appear to have increased the income but i have picked up a couple of new links etc.
| | |
BFTUK

Postby Tel » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:12 pm

Now that's got my attention.

3500 hits in the first month is good and that will grow over time - as everything seems to do online in terms of traffic generation. I'll definitely have to look into that some more 8)

I get quite a lot of additional traffic from the blog by pinging it every time I update it. That's another gradually increasing source of hits - as is submitting articles to ezine articles. The last 3 days has seen over 3,000 hits per day, so I must be doing something right!!! :lol:
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby BFTUK » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:28 pm

Thats 3500 visits not hits.

(I'm not sure what context you are using the term hits in, Tel)
| | |
BFTUK

Postby Tel » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:43 pm

Mmmm...

According to the site stats, hits are the big numbers that most website owners like to quote. I know these "hits" come from everywhere and encompass everything from robot trawlers to link backs in forum sigs when someone reads your post - the numbers sound impressive, but the reality is much less spectacular when you think in terms of real visitors to your site.

So visits are real people viewing your site - for me that's in the low hundreds per day, which doesn't sound quite so impressive...

That is something I want to see increasing and the trend is just that - albeit slowly. But then, this site is still in its infancy. Over time, as my promotional machine (in essence, me!) keeps trundling relentlessly onwards, I hope to see more real visits converting into more affiliate sales and more money in my pocket - which is the whole reason for doing all of this!
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby BFTUK » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:22 pm

Thats okay, i had a feeling we might be quoting different stats!

Hits basically count every image loaded on every page visited by any user, so can get pretty big, pretty quickly.

Still a couple of hundred visits a day is good going.
| | |
BFTUK

Postby marketstrat » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:40 am

marketstrat

Re: Social Networking

Postby BurnWithLife » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:26 pm

My favorite is Stumble. Great for promotion (if u have the right content) and great to use.
I play
Who likes ?
Shegoddess will help you lose
BurnWithLife

Re: Social Networking

Postby lissie » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:26 am

Ive never found stumble traffic convert well - or in fact at all
Lis
and Controversy!
lissie

Return to Promotion and Marketing