Noob Question

Here is the place to discuss the best and worst methods of promoting your online business. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Noob Question

Postby gmoney23 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:26 pm

I'm looking into a couple different niches that only have articles from higher profile websites listed in the rankings. Maybe the #1 ranking site is a New York Times article and perhaps an About.com article and so on. How difficult is it to out rank these how profile domains that only have a single article on the topic? Could it be considered a good sign if this is the case?

Thanks!

-gw
gmoney23

Re: Noob Question

Postby dreamscaper » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:39 pm

Just guessing here, but that might be agood thing in the sense that an article from a news site will not be actively employing SEO tactics to keep ahead of you in the rankings! :twisted: Just curious though: are you seeing this result for a niche or just for one keyword of the niche that you are looking at going after? A small but (I believe significant) distinction since the niche might have other serious competition. :-?
Stephen
dreamscaper

Postby Glacius » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:41 pm

I'm still in the process of this myself. From what I have been told this is what you have going for you.

Generally those big sites are just there due to the abundance of links, however you can pass them with far fewer. Difference being yours will be keyword anchored links. Most of their links are 'the new york times wrote' to where as yours would be 'insert long tail niche' as the keyword itself. I have already passed wiki-how and wikipedia on 2 of my terms and am working on the third in the list of long tails.

It will take time though, it took me roughly a month to hit #1 with my first set of keywords (which really aren't even searched much, but I went for them to just get some exposure and even though they don't show at all on adwords, they bring in about 10-20 hits a day)
Glacius

Postby gmoney23 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:01 pm

I'm seeing this for a particular keyword. The niche is fairly competitive but and I seem to be in the sandbox for my main keyword. However doing a little research yesterday I cam across a keyword that contains two of my main keywords that I was not targeting which had more search traffic than my main keyword I was going after. :-D I am currently sitting on page 10 for this keyword without optimizing my posts or getting any back links for it. I am hoping that an article marketing blitz along with a mini farm that I am in the process of building will be enough to put me on the top...
gmoney23

Return to Promotion and Marketing