[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Honest Way Forum • View topic - Converting Static HTML to Wordpress...

Converting Static HTML to Wordpress...

Discuss webmaster issues, website development and resources. Ask questions about website building, coding, SEP/SEO etc here. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Converting Static HTML to Wordpress...

Postby Phillip » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:01 pm

So here is the thing.. My brothers wife has a professional website that is built on static html. She knows nothing about it so every time she wants to add something she has to pay someone to get the website updated. Also she hosts small seasonal blogs every now and then and she hosts them somewhere like blogspot each time, which is quite stupid in my opinion if you already have bought a domain and have a fully running website there! So I threw in the idea that what if I converted the static site in to a wordpress site - she has about 7 static pages there, and she I could import all her previous blogs there and so on. The problem is that there is a lot of work done with pictures - she wants to keep it looking as it is. The header and the navigation is done with pictures. I will add a sidebar with some widgets, etc. Don't really know what I am asking here, just some things to look out for... Currently the designer has used tables to build the layout, so I would have to convert that all to div's - is it going to be a walk in the park or am I way over my league here ; I'm no html guru but I sure can build simple sites out of scratch... This all started because she came to me asking if I could get her website ranking #1 in google - I noticed the lack of content and the horrible seo on the site and immediately wanted to do something about it - also I think it is ridiculous to have a website and not be able to do a damn thing to it on your own; managing a CMS is simple after all.
P

Phillip

Re: Converting Static HTML to Wordpress...

Postby Tel » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:52 am

Phil, the easiest thing to do do is leave the static site as it, but add a WP blog to it. That way, the existing pages remain as is and any new content can be added via the blog.

You can set up the blog to create urls for new pages however you like, either using site.com/blog/category/post-title/ or even just site.com/blog/post-title/ or don't call the blog "blog" but maybe something like site.com/articles/post-title/ and you can take out the date part so the posts look just like regular articles with images and all sorts that you can do with WP.

You can probably find a theme that looks pretty close to the existing site's layout and tweak it to be almost identical so there is no obvious change in layout for a visitor. That way you don't end up messing with the existing site but get all the benefits of WP.
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby Phillip » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:02 pm

Oopps.. It's a non-professional site, but it is specifically designed for her. I pretty much just copied the header to header.php, added a custom tag to the current pages. The thing is that she want's all the layout and new pages to be exactly as they are now - because the theme is so pretty. Ripping the content isn't going to be difficult but getting the theme right will take some work - all those nice graphical frames and so on. I figured out that those seasonal blogs could be added blog post categories and have the category widget on the sidebar with a "blogs" header. That way she could categorize the posts as "blog -a" blog -b" "blog -c" and they it would automatically create then in to the navigation. The thing is that the front page needs something dynamic and it at the same time has to look the way it does. All it needs is work and I'll get it done - I'll be asking questions here when I hit prblems.
P

Phillip

Postby Phillip » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:28 pm

P

Phillip

Return to Web Development Resources