[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Honest Way Forum • View topic - How Much To Charge For An Ad

How Much To Charge For An Ad

Here is the place to discuss the best and worst methods of promoting your online business. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

How Much To Charge For An Ad

Postby benll » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:04 pm

I got my first offer from an ad agency to put their client on my home page. The client sells a relevent product to my sites subject. My site is ranked #2 at Google for the main key words, has a PR4, and gets 100-200 visits per day. I don't have a clue of how much to ask for. Any suggestions? Thanks Benll
benll

Re: How Much To Charge For An Ad

Postby DeMerchant » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:42 pm

I always just offer "nofollow" and ask for like 5 times what I think it is actually worth... either you get rid of them or you get compensated far more then way you think is fair

Get Links With , , , , and
DeMerchant

Postby TrentBrownrigg » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:44 pm

I agree you should ask for more than you think you'll get because they might go for it. If they don't you can always reduce it if you really want the money. Based on the little information I know about your site from what you posted, I would probably expect to get around $30 per month for an ad, depending on where it's placed. Ask for $50 and see what happens.
* No links here... Search my name if you want to find me!
TrentBrownrigg

Postby benll » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:34 pm

Thanks guys, I asked them to make an offer first. I assume we are talking about per month. $30-50 sounds OK. I really don't know if they will be very successful because affiliate ads have been terrible. AdSense is consistant though.
benll

Postby Brawnydt » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:22 am

For my PR 4 that gets similar traffic to yours, I charge $50/month for the 125 ad slots, $75 for the 300x250 ad slot, and $100 for the top banner. I'm almost always totally sold out. Offer $50 a month, or if they sign up for 3-6 months then give them a discounted $35-40 or something like that. Once you get one big name advertiser in your niche, you will attract others. A trick is to just make an advertisement for a big name in your niche and put it up with or without their knowledge. Other companies think they are missing out and jump on board real fast. :)
Brawnydt

Postby benll » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:24 pm

They offered $165 for a permamant link. I might do it. I need a new computer. I wonder if an ad on the page would affect my AdSense clicks. Don't want to screw that up for a one time payment. Any thoughts?
benll

Postby Phillip » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:06 pm

If you make over $50 adsense on the site then it might make a difference if you put a $50/mo ad there. With 100-200 you most likely do make more than that, so if they want to put an ad on your site, say that you want an equal amount to your adsense earnings - not in those words, but tell them that the value for the ad property is what it is.

Permanent link... Does it have to be do-follow? Even so $165 is nice for only a link.

edit: do an experiment with some affiliate product - put a banner there and see how many click through. I bet the amount is pretty low, like 1-2 out of a hundred. Those text ads seem more clickable, and banners are ignored imo.
P

Phillip

Postby TrentBrownrigg » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:18 pm

I don't think I would take the $165 for a permanent link. It sounds like a lot right now for just one link but remember it's PERMANENT, so after just a few months you will be losing money on that spot.

Look at it this way, if they paid just $20 per month for the link it would come out to $240 a year and $1200 in five years. But you are selling it for much less than that forever!
* No links here... Search my name if you want to find me!
TrentBrownrigg

Postby benll » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:23 pm

I've tried affiliate ads in the past and they don't work. I'll have to find out what kind of ad they want. If it's a text ad, then I'm just selling a link. Only difference is that I'm selling it through a middle man.
benll

Postby Brawnydt » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:46 pm

Never sell a permanent link. Sell the link for a year at max. That way you don't end up with issues later. Just my suggestion. :)
Brawnydt

Postby benll » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:29 pm

I was leaning toward doing it but haven't made a commitment yet. I e-mailed them asking for the type of ad that they have in mind (text, banner etc.). Thanks Brawnydt I am also thinking of long term issues. They haven't mentioned a contract yet.
I would never sign a contract that required a permanant link. Just common sense. Than again, if it's only a text link type ad, without a contract, I would in reality be getting paid to provide a link. I'm taking it slow. Other advice is welcome. Thanks, benll
benll

Return to Promotion and Marketing