[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Honest Way Forum • View topic - Writers Block...

Writers Block...

Discuss the whys and wherefors of article writing and publishing. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Writers Block...

Postby Tel » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:13 pm

Ok, I admit it. I'm stuck! :shock:

I haven't put up the next article in the "Let's build a Website" series for over a week now and the reason is... I'm stuck.

I've been busy during the week, but that's nothing new and I've been able to knock one out twice a week up until now. Then I just hit a block.

I think I know why, too.

Writers, like all creative artists have to be in the right frame of mind to create. When we're not, we either create second rate stuff because we didn't put all our hearts into it, or we simply produce nothing.

Being a musician too, I know when I'm in the "zone" I'm capable of writing some pretty good songs, yet at other times, when I try to force one out of me, either a load of rubbish ensues, or I sit there playing away with just about everything other than what I'm trying to do - so it simply doesn't get done.

I have another annoying trait in that when I think of something I want to do, I usually can get on and do it, but when someone else suggests or worse tells me that I should do something, I completely rebel and do the opposite, or nothing at all. :twisted:

I can live with that because I know it's one of my things and I'm comfortable with it, but to someone else its pure rebelliousness and it's caused rifts in the past. Lucky Jan is an artist and understands where I'm coming from.

So this is how I believe I've become blocked...

Writing these articles is something I want to do, so up until now I've been pulling out the stops and not only writing the articles, but coding the new website as I go (as well as figuring out any problems that arise while I'm doing that).

Then I found a website that paid direct for articles - I submitted one and got paid directly the next day, so I was happy and thought this would be the start of something regular. I was in contact with the site owner by email, which was fine until after accepting the article he suggested a topic for me to write the next article on.

It wasn't one I wanted to write about and... whack! The Block manifested.
:cry:

Being me, I switched direction and concentrated on my Squidoo lenses to the virtual exclusion of all else.

Ok, on the plus side, I now have 9 lenses up and running (8 of them related to affiliate and niche marketing - I'll post the new links in the thread I started elsewhere). I've written a whole ton of content for them, so the writing per se is not completely stiffed! Those lenses are all doing very well, too.

But my article writing has stumbled in the two places I need it to get going. Here and on that guy's site because he wants to pay me some money!

The moral of this story?

I don't know if it has a moral - maybe you can work one out for yourself - maybe it would be personal to yourself (whoever may be reading this).

But it has a conclusion.

And that is, if you (dear reader) ever come down with writer's block, here may be a light at the end of that tunnel, because recognising what is causing the block might just be the thing that dissolves it.

Expect the next two instalments of that article series by the end of the weekend!
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby magnetize » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:59 pm

it's funny you mentioned this Terry, as I'm in a similar predicament right now. But for me it is different to the fact that my job is pulling a heavy toll onto me at present. So between rushing to and from work I'm trying desperately to keep up the zone in my online endeavors. But to be honest I'm struggling as you guys know too well that having an hour here and there simply isn't enough to accomplish our huge task lists.

By the time I checked my mail, my lenses, my list,blog and stats it is already time to switch off again. So nothing gets written how I want it done. But like you Terry I know whats causing it.

Thing is I can only toss the job once I make enough money online. So it's back to bitting my teeth and get on with it. Pushing all the while to achieve a life were I rule my own world and NOT a job.

After all we can all but try... :wink:
Monika

magnetize

Postby Oosha » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:38 am

That's exactly how I feel at times too Terry. If I keep my writing work to the end of the day, it just doesn't get done and if it's a topic that I don't really enjoy writing about, it's even worse.

But then telling myself that I am learning something new really works.

Terry, I am even surprised you find time to write, what with your lenses and websites. Writing and coding at the same time takes a hell of a lot of time and I know how much you must be pushing yourself to do that.

Monika, like you, I am waiting for the day when I can do things at my own pace, be my own boss. It is unbelievable, but I can see it happening in the near future and am sure you will too.

Usha

Oosha

Postby Tel » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:19 am

Same here - I'm not quite my own boss yet, although I do work mainly for myself I still have to go out and do heavy manual work to pay the bills. And in this heat it is almost impossible.

Yesterday the temperature hit 45 in Malaga, the hottest day of the year so far and I am glad I chose not to work this week. It doesn't help my cashflow, but at least I got a chance to catch up online.

I wrote that article that had caused me so much trouble and sent it off - I just got an email back from the buyer who said he liked it so much he wants some more of the same. And he gave me an extra $10 over what I'd asked for it! :D

Now doesn't that say something!

I'd better stop dilly dallying in here and get started on my next article! :lol:
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby Oosha » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:23 am

Congratulations!!! :D

That guy had no choice but to like your writing. Fact is, you are excellent. I always read your articles and think to myself how easily the words flow and articles come together perfectly.

You know what, the amount of writing you do to teach us, you could easily write a few articles for others. But then, there lies the difference. You are NOT selfish.

I took off from work for a couple of days because my son has his vacation now and we are catching up on a lot of stuff, even inviting some close friends and family we didn't have time to meet. For the first time in ages, I am really really contented. I have been having trouble with overwork, feelings of depression that I am not able to do much in life, not able to spend time with my son.

This is what I want in life. I gave in my letter of resignation and in 4 months I will be without a job. But then, I am longing for that day.

Look at me, I have so much to write and am here venting my feelings.

Usha 8) getting back to work..to ensure she is her own boss..SOON.
in Monika's words [Pushing all the while to achieve a life were I rule my own world and NOT a job.]

LOl...that's it

Oosha

Postby Tel » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:27 am

Usha, I love your writing too - and when feelings and emotions are involved, I truly believe the writing gains so much more - a pseudo-life of its own almost!

It took a lot of courage to quit the security of your job. But you have the skills to do much better for yourself than any employer could ever do for you.

You already have the contract from elance and I'm sure that when they see your work, they'll be falling over each other to acquire your writing services. I'm sure you'll never have to "work" again, unless the whole world of the written word suddenly vanishes - and I can't see that happening any time soon!

Good on ya! 8)
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby Oosha » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:25 pm

Oosha

Postby Tel » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:10 pm

Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby tam2005 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:21 am

Tammy

tam2005

Postby Tel » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:07 am

Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby tam2005 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:38 pm

Cool...impressive. I'd love to hear some of your work! :)

My article writing has been a slow process. I've written 5.

4 of them have been out on the net for awhile and the 5th one, I just completed last night. That one was on the topic Motivation.

I'm also working on a new parenting article and have another idea for another one as well.

My writing moods come and go like the wind. lol I can be in a writing mode for like 1 or 2, and then that's it for awhile. I have to keep it going!

Is associated content the only company you write articles for? I know with that site, you have to wait for them to be purchased.

I have submitted my articles and some recipes to the site homejob.co.in....but I don't quite have enough for payout yet, but close.
Tammy

tam2005

Postby Tel » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:48 pm

That's good you're writing articles - it's a great way of promoting your business. You can probably tell from some the members here we're quite big into the writing thing! It work.

I'll get back over to your site later and have a look at some of your work too.
Its Constant Content I write for, and yes, it's a bind having to wait for them to sell, but the money is tons better than AC - which only pay if your in the US so that counts me out anyway!! I've been a bit slack with submitting to CC lately as I've been concentrating more of my efforts into writing to promote my sites and blogs - they can be a goldmine with a high PR but that takes a lot of work!

Now it's time for siesta - it's been a long day already! :D
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby tam2005 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:25 pm

Tammy

tam2005

Postby Oosha » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:47 am

Time to wake up Terry!

Hey Tammy, I'm glad you are into writing too. Yes, I am a free bird from Jan 2008 and the thought itself makes me tingle with excitement. :)

I plan to write for a few hours and the rest spend it here and get my IM thing going. By then, Terry would have accumulated more info and time for me to sit here and learn from his experience.

Good to have you with us Tammy. Going by your posts, you seem part of our team already. :D

Usha

Oosha

Postby tam2005 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:45 pm

Tammy

tam2005

Postby Oosha » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:48 pm

Oosha

Postby magnetize » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:51 am

magnetize

Postby tam2005 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:37 pm

Tammy

tam2005

Postby magnetize » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:02 am

Tammy,

Looks like you are doing just fine. So you're into cooking? I'm a chef by default and have had over 20 years experience. 22 to be exact. My husband John is a chef too and if you visit my blog, scroll down to the blogroll to see the link to his blog. It is very well done and John loves blogging about all things related to cooking, as well as reviews. He has some great videos there from our work kitchen. Might be interesting for you to see.

I would post his link here, but I don't want to abuse the system. Yours were asked for, so thats fine.
Anyway, well done Tammy. What business do you use to have success as you do now, if you don't mind sharing? Is it one program alone, or is it a few combined? The reason I ask is that it is always good to know what the others here are doing well with.

This also provides a great platform of combined resources for when newbies look for something suitable.

Monika :D

magnetize

Postby tam2005 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:19 am

Tammy

tam2005

Next

Return to Article Writing