[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Honest Way Forum • View topic - Any one affected by Paypal $500 payment limit

Any one affected by Paypal $500 payment limit

General online business related discussions go here. NO ADS!

Moderators: magnetize, Oosha, ftello, shezz

Any one affected by Paypal $500 payment limit

Postby lissie » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:29 am

According to a freelance site I write for if you receive more than $500 / month into your paypal account you will be forced to upgrade to a business account and therefore have to pay 3-5% of receipts to paypal :-o

I haven't had this problem yet but its a possibility in the future. First off has anyone outside of the US had this problem? My account is NZ based but Australia would probably have the same rules but everyone I have heard with the problem has been US based to date.

Is there anything stopping me starting a new paypal acocunt : different email/differnet bank account / differnet credit card - ie do I have to be careful and hide my IP address too.
Lis
and Controversy!
lissie

Re: Any one affected by Paypal $500 payment limit

Postby DeMerchant » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:52 am

BS - I get significantly over $500/mth into my account and have a personal account. I BELIEVE the difference is the ability to accecpt credit cards.

Get Links With , , , , and
DeMerchant

Postby Tel » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:42 pm

From what I can see there is only a limit if you don't verify your account, although they will start asking questions if you exceed $1,000 in a month on a personal account. I have both a personal and business account in my name by necessity.
Terry

| | |
Tel
Site Admin

Postby lissie » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:47 am

Strange - there an awful lot of freelancers complaining about it - and I see no reason to accept credit cards as a freelancer - and if Iwas selling items on ebay I think Id just get a separate paypal acocunt!
Lis
and Controversy!
lissie

Postby bgmacaw » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:46 pm

I've got a business account that I've had for years.

The $500 limit is kind of a compromise they made a year or so ago to help out occasional eBay sellers while weeding out those who abused the system by taking credit card payments for free. Credit card processing and currency exchanges cost money so they have to charge for it.
Frank Carr from at OpTempo |
| |
bgmacaw

Postby lissie » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:40 am

This is not about receiving credit card payments: its purely receiving direct deposits for freelance work. I am thinking that if I go the $7 script route I am going to have get a business a/c for that - because of using their "shopping cart" for the pay now button - that's fair enough.
Lis
and Controversy!
lissie

Postby Gotafish » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:27 pm

I've used a premier/business account since payal was launched and have never ran into any limit barriers for weekly or monthy transactions. the small amount you pay in fees is worth the increased ease for customers to make payments in my opinion.
Gotafish

Postby Brawnydt » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:53 pm

I have had the problem. A client recently made a payment to my unupgraded account, which is verified and working, and Paypal tried to hit me with a much higher percentage than they charge on an upgraded account. I can't remember exactly but I think it was around 6%. Thankfully I denied payment and no charges were incurred. It's pretty much official, I hate paypal and ebay for how much they price gouge.
Brawnydt

Return to General Business